adjusting step of remote contoled volume? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 31st December 2007, 09:20 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to DigitalJunkie
Perhaps you could stack a few diodes in series with the motor.
You'll have to use two per "position",back-to-back (anti-parallel) so that the motor will still turn both directions.
Each set of diodes will drop about 0.7V
Even a bridge rectifier would work,if you used the AC terminals.
Old 1st January 2008, 02:34 AM   #12
sapek is offline sapek  United States
diyAudio Member

Thanks guys. I will give a resistor in series a try. If that doesn't work, I will try diodes. Anything more complex than this is way over my head :-
).
Old 1st January 2008, 12:50 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

DigitalJunkie is right, diodes should be better !
Old 1st January 2008, 01:40 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

This appears to be a DC motor driving a pot. I doubt whether the diodes or resistor shortens each change; that timing surely is set in the pot control driven by the remote. Using diodes or resistors in series will probably get you to the point that it doesn't move at all anymore.

I have built such a system some time ago with a microcontroller so I could set each change duration in the software. Most probably that is also the case here, and there isn't much you can do to change that.

In that case, one possible option would be a timer with a 555 or similar, that switches the power to the motor with the power that activates the motor after a remote command. The 555 then switches off the motor power *before* the remote command terminates. But be aware that there is also a minimum time: once the motor moves, it cannot be stopped within a few milliseconds, it moves a bit on itself due to momentum.
You need to decide whether you really want to go through all that; is it that important?

Jan Didden
Old 1st January 2008, 01:42 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sapek
I apologize for not responding earlier. I'm new to the forum and I thought that I will get an e-mail notification about activity on the thread but I didn't.[snip]Adam

You can activate 'subcribe to this thread' at the bottom of the page.

Jan Didden
Old 1st January 2008, 04:03 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

I have used motorized alps once, the speed is adjustable in quite wide range until it stops. It does not mean it is enough, but I'm quite sure it can be reduced with 30-40% and it still turns safely. I would try it for sure before building any circuit.

Regards,
JG
Old 1st January 2008, 04:04 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

ja, of course it does not shorten the turning time, but it does slowing it down, which is a same thing this case.
Old 1st January 2008, 07:27 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Giordano
ja, of course it does not shorten the turning time, but it does slowing it down, which is a same thing this case.

OK yes, try it. Mine didn't really slow down with lower voltage, but yours may be a different construction or type of motor or clutch, and it's indeed esasy to try.

Jan Didden
Old 2nd January 2008, 01:24 AM   #19
sapek is offline sapek  United States
diyAudio Member

Two sets of diodes in series did the trick perfectly.

Thanks again everyone for taking time and suggesting this simple solution.

Hide this!Advertise here!