Sig gen for FM alignment, diy?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I want a signal generator for high quality FM tuner alignment. I know the Sound Technology units are supposed to be common, but I never see any come up for sale. I don't do much RF, but have an HP3200B, an old Heathkit IG-42, and a Tektronix 191. Can any of these be beaten and coerced into doing the job? Is there some other semi-affordable unit besides the S-T I should look for? Can anyone suggest a diy circuit specific to the purpose? I can build about anything, but I don't want it to become another multi-year project to finish! Thanks :cool:

HP8640B is a well-liked one.

I don't know what sort of features you are wanting or needing. But you might want to check http://www.govliquidation.com , using the Advanced Search features to specifiy the nearest warehouses that participate in the big monthly test equipment auctions, and also specify the sale number for one of those TE sales (especially after it's close-enough to the sale date for it to be fully lotted).

You could probably pick up several AUL SG-1144/U units for the minimum bid, and might luck out and get something like an HP 8640B, cheap-enough; probably in the $100 to $250 range, but with no guarantees. (I've actually got a half-dozen or so probably-not-quite-working-perfectly SG-1144/U AM/FM/CW sig gens left over, here. I just hate the thought of packing and shipping them, or even just looking at them.)

Conrad Hoffman said:
I want a signal generator for high quality FM tuner alignment. I know the Sound Technology units are supposed to be common, but I never see any come up for sale. I don't do much RF, but have an HP3200B, an old Heathkit IG-42, and a Tektronix 191. Can any of these be beaten and coerced into doing the job? Is there some other semi-affordable unit besides the S-T I should look for? Can anyone suggest a diy circuit specific to the purpose? I can build about anything, but I don't want it to become another multi-year project to finish! Thanks :cool:

Wanna borrow my Sencore SG165? I picked one up on EBay a couple years back.

Very generous Jack, but I've a need to own! In fact, I've got a bid in on one of those right now. I'm still lusting after the HP unit, and if I get one of those, I can probably sell off my other RF generators. All the other generators are just LC oscillators, and I can't believe there isn't some simple way to add limited FM capabilities with a varactor diode or something.

On my first job in finance I used to help out over the Christmas holidays as the trust departments in NYC would unload boatloads of stocks which they got in from estates -- little OTC companies that their analysts had no intention of covering -- my boss would sell them in February when things got back to normalcy -- that's why he had a house in Westhampton.

One firm that I worked for had their fiscal year ending November 30th so they could baloon their balance sheet at the end of the calendar year for exactly this same purpose.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.