Testing PS filter caps - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th January 2008, 01:20 PM   #21
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Conrad Hoffman

Nice potentiometer- Guildline is excellent (and expensive) stuff. Without looking in detail, it looks like it's basically a 6-digit voltmeter. The voltage reference would have been a Weston standard cell (mercury/cadmium) at 1.018 or so volts. If you haven't already, go research "Kelvin Varley Dividers" as a first step to understanding the thing ;-)

Guildline made the voltage divider for the HP 3456A DVM -- still one of my favorite instruments.

Another good source of high precision potentiometers for measurement work are the Keithleys -- sometimes you will see them paired up with a Keithley 240 HV power supply. The Fluke voltage references...

Jim Williams (Linear Technologies) did an application note on Kelvin Varley Dividers -- it's in a piece on a 20-bit reference which they devised. Williams stuff is always a pleasure to read.
Old 17th January 2008, 05:54 AM   #22
diyAudio Member

I haven't started to build it yet. Doing some web research, I realized that my local surplus store has 4 of these (below). They are on the top shelf out of reach, but I recognized the GIANT meters, and made the connection.

Click the image to open in full size.

Of course I realize Conrad's version is smaller (a lot), but I do suppose I could buy one of these big beasts, the above Gen Rad 1654.
I'm guessing they'd let one go for $60 - $100.

Any thoughts on the difference between the two? What would you do ?

btw, the manual has some good reading...
http://bama.edebris.com/download/gr/...Comparitor.pdf

=RR=
Old 9th November 2009, 10:10 AM   #23
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conrad Hoffman View Post
The topic of testing power supply filter caps seems popular, and many people don't have a capacitance meter or bridge.

[cut]

[cut]
Schematic
I resume this quite old Conrad's post because it seems that the links to the picture and schematic are broken.
As I'm interested in this topic I kindly ask Conrad if he can restore the correct link

Thanks in advance
Regards
diy_audio_fo
Old 20th December 2009, 02:55 PM   #24
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diy_audio_fo View Post
I resume this quite old Conrad's post because it seems that the links to the picture and schematic are broken.
As I'm interested in this topic I kindly ask Conrad if he can restore the correct link

Thanks in advance
Regards
diy_audio_fo
I found the topic of great interest as well and the links to be broken.

Dennis

Hide this!Advertise here!