open circuit ? in patch cord - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st December 2007, 10:44 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default open circuit ? in patch cord

I seem to have done something wrong but i CAN'T FIGURE OUT WHAT IT IS, CAN ANY-ONE GIVE ME AN IDEA?
I was making some RCA to Cannon patch cord to use in my party system, Bi-amped using Behringer DCX crossover,
As funds are short before Christmas I was going to use some cheap RCA cables i had lying around (It is a party system after all ) I measured and checked the cables for resistance/open circuit cut them in half checked them again soldered on the Cannon plug and NO circuit they were fine before I soldered them and I am sure I am measuring the correct pins but they measure as open circuit, any idea what I did wrong??
Would like to have these rocking before the kids arrive for the Xmas BBQ
Old 1st December 2007, 03:06 PM   #2
gootee is offline gootee  United States
diyAudio Member

Did you try measuring between incorrect pins? i.e. Maybe the wrong pins got connected to each other. What happens if you short one end and measure between the pins at the other end?
Old 1st December 2007, 07:03 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

DC r is OK on the cold side I measure 0R4 Ohms on the negative and sheild pins ( these are of course bridged ) but the hot pin whidh should carry the signal and measured 0R6 Ohms before soldering now reads an infinite resistance, NO signal at all and these are cheap connectors a=but they solder up fine and smooth
Old 1st December 2007, 10:56 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

OK I found the problem; no strain relief on the original cable and the weight of the cannon connector was too much for the poor soldering job on the RCA and the copper was of such poor quality the "SNAP"
If this proves any thing it is that cheap cabling is never a good option and even good manufacturers sometimes cut corners, these cables came with the NAD C- 542 but until yesterday had never been out of the plastic bag
Old 1st December 2007, 11:36 PM   #5
gootee is offline gootee  United States
diyAudio Member

Yup. Glad you found the problem.

Hide this!Advertise here!