open circuit ? in patch cord

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
I seem to have done something wrong but i CAN'T FIGURE OUT WHAT IT IS, CAN ANY-ONE GIVE ME AN IDEA?
I was making some RCA to Cannon patch cord to use in my party system, Bi-amped using Behringer DCX crossover,
As funds are short before Christmas I was going to use some cheap RCA cables i had lying around (It is a party system after all ) I measured and checked the cables for resistance/open circuit cut them in half checked them again soldered on the Cannon plug and NO circuit they were fine before I soldered them and I am sure I am measuring the correct pins but they measure as open circuit, any idea what I did wrong??
Would like to have these rocking before the kids arrive for the Xmas BBQ

diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
DC r is OK on the cold side I measure 0R4 Ohms on the negative and sheild pins ( these are of course bridged ) but the hot pin whidh should carry the signal and measured 0R6 Ohms before soldering now reads an infinite resistance, NO signal at all and these are cheap connectors a=but they solder up fine and smooth

diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
OK I found the problem; no strain relief on the original cable and the weight of the cannon connector was too much for the poor soldering job on the RCA and the copper was of such poor quality the "SNAP"
If this proves any thing it is that cheap cabling is never a good option and even good manufacturers sometimes cut corners, these cables came with the NAD C- 542 but until yesterday had never been out of the plastic bag

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.