Magnavox 8002 Amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Greetings to you All

Kinda new the board and lacking in the tube circuits
but I'm going to learn

I'm doing a rebuild/ mod on a magnavox cosole pull.

It has the....... 2- 6EU7 input/phase inverter tubes,
4- 6V6GT output tubes
1 6CA4 rectifier tube

The pic shows EL84/6BQ5 tubes but the circuit is the same for the 6V6's outputs

Doing replacement with new .01uf 630V poly film caps:
10uf 100v mylar capacitors:
3.3uf 200v polypropylene capacitors
41L .15uf 850v poly caps
Series 40L 10uf 400v poly caps:

I'd like to beef up the power transformer how large can I go?
what kind voltage wise
and Where could I purchase?

ThanX

Attachments

• 8002 schem.jpg
    8002 schem.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 124
Hi Zino13, What voltages do you actually have now? Is the 335 correct? With a 6V6 you might not be able to get much more output as you will run into to max dissipation issues. It looks like you are in the 10 watt dissipation range now and the limits on most new 6V6s are around 14. Older tubes depending on brand are less. A new JJ 6V6 can go to 500 volts max, but you may lose out on the current handling. Should your output transformers be capable, you might consider an upgrade to 6L6s. With the higher voltage they can deliver substantially more output. I won't go into the different sound quality of the various tube types, but there are differences. IMHO, I wouldn't change it. The gains would be unlikely to be significant. Even if you doubled the output power, the sould level increase would hardly be noticed.

Just my 2 cents
Others please feel free to comment / disagree

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.