Connector Availability

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey, I tried.

Back when you first posted, I looked through the _entire_ "rectangular connectors" section of the mouser.com catalog, and didn't see anything exactly like that.

If you don't have the free hardcopy versions of the huge mouser.com and alliedelec.com catalogs, you should get them. The pictures make searching for things like this MUCH faster and easier than any other way I can think of.

Good luck!

- Tom Gootee

Hi,

I also thought about this query, but I have never seen anything quite like this connector before.

If it was me, I would try contacting the equipment's makers who should at least be able to tell you which type of connector is used on this device for the A/V Multi Out.

Regards,

AV Multi Out is a Sony gadget, probably stuff you find in Playstations.

edit: gotcha=> PS3
One 1/2 person ok too ?

Attachments

• av-multi.jpg
    av-multi.jpg
    4.4 KB · Views: 188
Hi,

Great stuff, but as diydummy presumably has this item to take photos of, I guess that he already knows what it is!

His question is, what type of connector is this, and where can he obtain a suitable cable-connector to use with it.

Unfortunately, no-one yet has been able to help him with this.

:bawling:

Regards,

Hi diydummy,

This being the case, it looks like it is probably a Sony 'special' connector, and this explains why neither Tom nor I could find anything in catalogues.

If so, you may not be able to find a separate connector, but you might be able to use a proprietary lead with connectors already attached, and, by cutting this lead, modify it for your purposes.

Even with molded-on plugs, I have done this several times before but you will need a meter or perhaps a battery and light-bulb, or similar, to identify which individual wire in the lead is attached to which tag on the connector.

Regards,

Tom, Bob, et al.

Much appreciated and good eye! I was hoping there might be a source for a generic plastic connector that would fit reasonably well.

I'll light up my brain, get crazy with the cheese wiz and make something up.

Thanks again everyone, you guys are terrific! :smash:

DD

Hi DD,

If, as now suspected, this is a proprietary connector format of Sony's, I doubt that you will be able to source a bare connector for this, unfortunately.

I have come across this situation before with other makers connectors (although fortunately not very often) and the manufacturers don't make spare connectors available, usually. This is most likely to ensure that you don't muck about with their precious equipment, and/or to force you into purchasing a complete cable assembly from them.
Again assuming that it really is a Sony 'special', if this connector format takes off and other manufacturers start using it, which sometimes happens, spare generic connectors probably will be marketed, but this might be some time into the future.

Unless you are lucky to find someone with an unwanted cable, you will possibly have little alternative other than to buy a complete cable and modify it (as I suggested) for your purposes.

Incidentally, who is "al" ? (Tom, Bob, et al.) ;)

Regards,

Originally posted by Bobken If, as now suspected, this is a proprietary connector format of Sony's, I doubt that you will be able to source a bare connector for this, unfortunately.

I have come across this situation before with other makers connectors (although fortunately not very often) and the manufacturers don't make spare connectors available...

Incidentally, who is "al" ? (Tom, Bob, et al.) ;)

et al means "and others"

I do have the stock cord but in order to do the modifications I want,
it won't avail. That's why I'm looking for a generic connector to fit.

I found this... http://dogbreath.de/PS1/AVout/AVout.html
and will try improve upon the idea.

I'm rather in awe as to how good this little unit sounds.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.