Bad volume control on receiver?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have an old HK and the volume would get noisy after a few years. I would clean it and all was good. It did not get used that much, sometimes use would clean it.

Well one day I turned it on and it was going real loud, scared the you know what out of me. I hit the volume down and it went silent; the volume was only up a little? I was like it shorted out? I messed with it and it worked fine but would do the same thing after a time. Have it in storage now, but you think maybe the pot is broken or worn out, and not dirty? Never had dirty cause high volume before. If so are they easy to source?

AKN

Joined 2005
Paid Member
jol50 said:
I have an old HK and the volume would get noisy after a few years. I would clean it and all was good. It did not get used that much, sometimes use would clean it.

Well one day I turned it on and it was going real loud, scared the you know what out of me. I hit the volume down and it went silent; the volume was only up a little? I was like it shorted out? I messed with it and it worked fine but would do the same thing after a time. Have it in storage now, but you think maybe the pot is broken or worn out, and not dirty? Never had dirty cause high volume before. If so are they easy to source?

Hi jol50,

Sounds like the pot lost ground connection. Could possibly be the pot or a bad solder connection.

I am more into electronics now, I could take it apart further and check it out. It is a pain just to get where you can spray something into it. But the amp is quite powerful and heavy. I'd like to use it as a sub or added on amp somehow but think I need preamp inputs it does not have as I recall. It is 60w/ch but really puts out for that rating. It just buried an old 100w/ch poineer amp I had and sounded much better doing it.

It just seemed to do that at rest so when you turned it on you were blasted. Moving the knob around or up/down/etc did not appear to affect it running it worked normal soon as you touched it. Would do it even if knob was left all the way down, and of course I never shut it off set loud anyway. It would be maybe half way up far as volume when it did that, it was rocking. For a while I turned the knob before starting it but then got another amp to use.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.