Bad volume control on receiver? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th November 2007, 03:06 AM   #1
jol50 is offline jol50  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Bad volume control on receiver?

I have an old HK and the volume would get noisy after a few years. I would clean it and all was good. It did not get used that much, sometimes use would clean it.

Well one day I turned it on and it was going real loud, scared the you know what out of me. I hit the volume down and it went silent; the volume was only up a little? I was like it shorted out? I messed with it and it worked fine but would do the same thing after a time. Have it in storage now, but you think maybe the pot is broken or worn out, and not dirty? Never had dirty cause high volume before. If so are they easy to source?
Old 24th November 2007, 12:22 PM   #2
AKN is offline AKN  Sweden
No snake oil
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to AKN
Default Re: Bad volume control on receiver?

Quote:
Originally posted by jol50
I have an old HK and the volume would get noisy after a few years. I would clean it and all was good. It did not get used that much, sometimes use would clean it.

Well one day I turned it on and it was going real loud, scared the you know what out of me. I hit the volume down and it went silent; the volume was only up a little? I was like it shorted out? I messed with it and it worked fine but would do the same thing after a time. Have it in storage now, but you think maybe the pot is broken or worn out, and not dirty? Never had dirty cause high volume before. If so are they easy to source?
Hi jol50,

Sounds like the pot lost ground connection. Could possibly be the pot or a bad solder connection.
Old 24th November 2007, 07:34 PM   #3
jol50 is offline jol50  United States
diyAudio Member

I am more into electronics now, I could take it apart further and check it out. It is a pain just to get where you can spray something into it. But the amp is quite powerful and heavy. I'd like to use it as a sub or added on amp somehow but think I need preamp inputs it does not have as I recall. It is 60w/ch but really puts out for that rating. It just buried an old 100w/ch poineer amp I had and sounded much better doing it.

It just seemed to do that at rest so when you turned it on you were blasted. Moving the knob around or up/down/etc did not appear to affect it running it worked normal soon as you touched it. Would do it even if knob was left all the way down, and of course I never shut it off set loud anyway. It would be maybe half way up far as volume when it did that, it was rocking. For a while I turned the knob before starting it but then got another amp to use.

Hide this!Advertise here!