Caps/Inductors for a Filter - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th November 2007, 10:30 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Caps/Inductors for a Filter

Hey I'm new at this stuff, but I was wondering if there was any recommendations for Caps and inductors to use in an Hi-fi audio filter. I am going to be making a 2nd order Butterworth filter.

The general consensus from what I have read is that polypropylene cap's are the way to go, and either air core or powder core inductors. What are the advantages /disadvantages for the inductors. Also what is the ideal way for choosing which cap value to use?

Thanks
Old 12th November 2007, 11:15 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Would these be usable?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pb120033.jpg (62.3 KB, 98 views)
Old 13th November 2007, 06:51 PM   #3
gootee is offline gootee  United States
diyAudio Member

If you only need small cap values, also consider using polystyrene.

I usually have to choose cap and inductor values based at least partially on what's available that has the specs I need, and at what cost and size penalties. Often, for filters, the C and L values will have an inverse type of relationship. You will want to design the filter so that the C and L values fall within practical ranges of values, for the types you want to use.

- Tom Gootee

http://www.fullnet.com/~tomg/index.html

Hide this!Advertise here!