Caps/Inductors for a Filter

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey I'm new at this stuff, but I was wondering if there was any recommendations for Caps and inductors to use in an Hi-fi audio filter. I am going to be making a 2nd order Butterworth filter.

The general consensus from what I have read is that polypropylene cap's are the way to go, and either air core or powder core inductors. What are the advantages /disadvantages for the inductors. Also what is the ideal way for choosing which cap value to use?

Thanks

Would these be usable?

Attachments

• pb120033.jpg
    pb120033.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 115
If you only need small cap values, also consider using polystyrene.

I usually have to choose cap and inductor values based at least partially on what's available that has the specs I need, and at what cost and size penalties. Often, for filters, the C and L values will have an inverse type of relationship. You will want to design the filter so that the C and L values fall within practical ranges of values, for the types you want to use.

- Tom Gootee

http://www.fullnet.com/~tomg/index.html

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.