Resistor Kit

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey Guys,

I'm looking for a resistor kit with a wide variety of resistor values and quantity. I have seen some kits on Mouser but they are a bit pricey and only come with 10 of each value.

Anyone know of any kits with good assortment at a good price???

Thanks

Lawrence

Those kits seem like a really good deal. My strategy is to design with a limited number of values, and buy those values 200 at a time from Digikey. I tend to use even decades (1,10,100...), and then certain values that combine to give common gains and attenuation (2,20, 200..., 499, 4990, 909, 9090, 110, etc). Still, I end up with a fair investment in resistors. It might make a lot of sense to get one of the kits, then supplement it with larger quantities of the more commonly used values. I also try to stick with the standard E-96 1% values, not the E-24 series that some of the kits contain.

Hi TA1,

theAnonymous1 said:
I know I plug this place too much, but have you tried ebay?

metal film kit

carbon film kit

Those are in the US, if you don't mind ordering and waiting for a kit from Hong Kong this one is 50 value 50pc. each value.

http://cgi.ebay.com/1-4W-Metal-Film...ryZ73147QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

You can't beat the value and how many values (sorry about the pun)! Have you used these? Are they good for HiFi signal path audio applicatios or only for prototypes and then when you know it works, you replace them with Vishay Dale or equivalent high quality?

Thanks!

Regards//Keith

KP11520 said:
Hi TA1,

You can't beat the value and how many values (sorry about the pun)! Have you used these? Are they good for HiFi signal path audio applicatios or only for prototypes and then when you know it works, you replace them with Vishay Dale or equivalent high quality?

Thanks!

Regards//Keith

I've bought the kit from the first link. I am a certified Grade A Frugil-phile; so regular metal films are good enough for me. I do have some Dale resistors but they weren't bought because they are Dale, they just happened to be cheap and available on ebay at the time.

head_spaz said:

I have the resistor set from that seller, and quite frankly, it looks to me like it's carbon film.
See attached photo. The resistor to the right with the blue body.

Best regards Ebbe

Edit: The photo maybe is too blurry ?

Attachments

• resistor.jpg
    resistor.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 220
I bought the ones from sureelectronics (last link before my post) and upon cracking a couple of them it seems that they are actually metal films (I cracked a carbon film and it was darker). However, measured tolerance is likely to be 2% or 3%. Their leads are thinner than usual (not a problem for me), the blue resin coating is also slightly thinner than usual and marking is achieved with only four color bands instead of five. The resistive ceramic element seems to be of the right size, though.

I bought a total of 19 items from this seller and shipping was fast but I only got 17 and one was mistaken. Anyway, it was a pretty good deal.

taj

diyAudio Member
Joined 2005
For what it's worth, the values within the Chinese kit are much more standard (E12). The kit from OpAmp Electr. seems to be full of less commonly required values, which is probably just a method to balance out their inventory, since the popular values probably sell well enough on their own.

Also, these kits have a lot of high values in them (30% over 100k), which for me and my taste for S.S. AB amplifers where low values predominate, isn't too useful. But you could always bundle/sell the extras on eBay like OpAmp does.

..Todd

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.