Couch rumbler, THX Effects How do I make one? Huge Vibrator

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
stevef22 said:
Thanks for the links, How would I make my own giant vibrating motor? I looked on youtube and found how to cell phone vibrating motors work. Basically a mother with a uneven weight video.
How would I make a giant one from household appliances? I have a spare blower that I could take apart.

Get a motor. Bolt a weight to it. Done. The very sophisticated controller required can be as simple as a switch or as complex as you want to make it.

I_F

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
stevef22 said:
I have a spare blower that I could take apart.

Blower from a furnace? An induction motor? Induction motors, on single phase power, run at a fixed RPM - either 1725 or 3450. They are made to run economically for long periods of time. They are NOT economical to start, where they can draw 14 times their run current, this is the purpose of the big start capacitor attached (usually) to the side. Controlling such a motors speed means switching it off and on for short durations. This means that it will rarely reach it's full rotational speed (where current draw falls off significantly). That's what I mean when I say sophisticated - you're dealing with a lot of current (totally wasted).
For such a contraction, use an easily controlled universal motor (variable speed drill motor or similar). Something with brushes.

I've considered using a low-inertia servo motor... put a reasonable weight on the shaft and it should shake a couch nicely. Low-inertia servomotors aren't all that cheap, though, unless you happen to find some at a local surplus dealer. And since they tend to have voice-coil resistances down around 1 ohm, you may need to use a transformer to drive 'em, or put a few ohms in series.

panomaniac makes a lot of sense....buy something like the "Bass Shakers"....or potentially spend twice as much (time and money) working on something that may (or may not) **** off the guest sitting next to you on your sofa.

I have this feeling that using one of those low inertia motors is going to be like those old hotel room beds - you know the ones that I mean....stick a quarter in and get ready for a shake.....more annoying than enjoyable....

An easier solution might be to just mount a really cheap old bass driver directly under the sofa frame....or even a solinoid.

Just my .02

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.