toroid near a computer motherboard.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am building a CNC controller for my mill, i have scrounged up a nice aluminium 2u server which has a lot of extra space to put the interface board, gecko drivers, relays and power supply.

I am planning to keep the small microatx p4 motherboard in there, it has a printer port which i need for the mach3 software.

anyways the corner of the motherboard farthest away from the CPU would be quite close (about an inch or 2 ) to the 320VA toroid i am using to drive my servos.

would the toroid introduce enough hum into the PCs circuitry to make it unreliable or crash? or should it be ok if i put a shield between them.

thanx
n7

Mount the PCB and toroid so that the hole in the toroid is facing the most sensitive parts.

Maximum radiation is in the plane of the toroid if you think of the toroid as a disc.

In the 90 degree axis (imagine a line straight thru the hole in the toroid) the radiation cancels almost completely due to the way a magnetic field is radiated from a wire and the way a toroid is winded on the core.

/Peter

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.