New phone plug for Grado Headphones - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th November 2007, 09:13 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to jjimison
Default New phono plug for Grado

Hello all! I recently sheared the plug from my Grado SR-80s with the leg of a chair... A tragedy.

I replaced the plug with a standard gold-plated Radioshack phono plug (3.5mm, my size of choice, as the 1/4" is impractical with most devices).

It's not that great. The strain-relief spring was clearly made for cable of smaller diameter, and wouldn't fit over the Grado cable, the thing looks a little crappy and tends to only operate when plugged in and rotated to a certain degree.

I'm looking for a GOOD replacement phono plug for my Grados. A quality (one might say, "Audiophile-grade") 3.5mm plug/jack/whatever-you-call-it.

Any suggestions as to where I can find one?
Old 5th November 2007, 04:25 AM   #2
sangram is online now sangram  India
diyAudio Member

Neutrik?

http://www.neutrik.com/fl/en/audio/2...oductlist.aspx

These are right-angled, but they do have straight plugs as well.

Percy audio also has some in their catalog, I don't have the catalog on this PC so can't tell you exactly which one.
Old 5th November 2007, 07:11 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to jjimison
Looks like they've only got the right angles there at Neutrik. And no sign of the Percy catolog either.
Old 6th November 2007, 08:11 AM   #4
sangram is online now sangram  India
diyAudio Member

http://www.rscomp.com.sg/electronic-...reo-plugs.html

One example from RS. Admittedly those are rare, but you might be able to do with the Canare F-12, and those are at Percy. Download the catalog from this link.

http://percyaudio.com/

Link is on the top of the page.

http://www.fullcompass.com/category/...onnectors.html

Another source.
Old 6th November 2007, 08:36 AM   #5
OzMikeH is offline OzMikeH  Australia
diyAudio Member

Use glue filled heatshrink over whatever plug you use. works well as long as it only just fits, if it's huge then it's too thick by the time it's shrunk enough.
Old 23rd July 2012, 12:32 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

switchcraft has some likely plugs ... has anyone diy with them? ... the problem i find is that manufacturers, despite exhaustive descriptions and diagrams do not show the cable end of the plug nor list its diameter... 1/4 plugs mostly have thick cables but it seems that most 3.5mm plugs assume thin cable or just wires ... so a grado cable won't fit. i got a neutrik angle plug and it has a flexible membrane on the cable end ... but you would still have to slide the whole plug further down on the cable to solder it and enter it into the plastic insert in the barrel than is possible with a thick 1/4"? cable as there is on the grados regardless of plug size

Hide this!Advertise here!