Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd November 2007, 02:14 PM   #1
adaycj is offline adaycj  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Whole basement audio

I’m a little apprehensive to post this. There are so many extremely technical projects done by audiophiles, my project seems low tech and less than “audio perfection”.

I have a finished basement, below grade. I want to add about 8 in ceiling speakers in two rooms. I currently intend to use pre-made inexpensive 8 ohm, 40 watts max, 88 dB sensitivity speakers (manufacture specs). I hope to use speaker level wiring from a central point to operate all 8 speakers. Zone or individual speaker sound control would be nice, but is not required. The point is overall exercise, “waiting room” of music with a little more volume when needed. I do not want or expect audiophile or home theatre multi-channel sound for a sound stage. Stereo separation is not really useful since the speakers are scattered in the ceiling. The longest run will be about 25 feet from amp to speaker.

I have speakers in mind that are inexpensive ($30 US each). I have cable. I just need something to power the speakers and accept several different inputs. I’m even willing to hand switch inputs if needed.

I am on an extreme budget. I hope to spend less than $200 on the system to drive the speakers. I am willing to make something, and I think it would be quite a learning experience. Searching here and reading posts, I see chip amp projects that look promising. However, some are way over budget, and nearly all of them will only operate a few speakers.

Any ideas are appreciated.
Old 5th November 2007, 04:19 AM   #2
adaycj is offline adaycj  United States
diyAudio Member

Apparently this is not the place for such a question. I was a bit afraid of that. Should I try to move this to the chip amp forum or just give it up?
Old 5th November 2007, 04:42 AM   #3
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

If you can live with any 4 speakers running l=all the time, you can wire sets of 4 sepakers in series/parallel and get 8 ohms back. Then you can drive each set of 4 from one channel of a stereo amplifier. You should be able to easily find an adequate used receiver for less than your budget.

Any local thrift stores. Or hifi shops that sell used stuff?

dave

PS: I've probably got a half-dozen units that would do the job so i know they are out there...

Hide this!Advertise here!