Looking for a small device with two inputs...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
First of all, I'm sorry if this is posted in the wrong forum, any moderator feel free to move this thread. I'm even more sorry if this isn't even the right site for questions like this, but I didn't know where else to ask.

When I'm riding my motorcycle and listening to music on my MP3 player, I would like to be able to hear my GPS too or I might miss a turn. Is there a small, battery-powered device, with two inputs (A and B) and one output, that will output the signal from B, UNLESS sound has been input to A in the last X ms, in which case it outputs A instead?

So I would be riding along, listening to music, when my GPS would say something and the device would stop outputting the music and output the sound from the GPS instead.

Does such a device exist? If yes, what is it called and where can I buy one?

Thank you very much for your help. :)

Hi,
as a first step, look up the ESP site. He has lots of projects/info in there and I'm fairly certain one is an auto switch on.
It could easily be adapted to change over from one input to the other. You will need to do further research to enable you to package it to fit inside your box for M/C use.
A slight problem may be getting a fast switch over, so you don't miss the first part of the word.

BTW,
when you've stolen it, what do you do with it?

Haha, took me like 5 minutes to figure out what you were talking about with the last part, but the answer is... I melt it! Yes, I'm really that evil. :)

I realize this is a DIY site, but are you saying that these devices don't exist already? It seems you can buy almost anything these days (God, I sound old, I'm only 27!), so I just assumed that someone was already selling something like that.

Perhaps I need to approach this from a different angle then, like finding a navigation system with a built-in MP3 player or just turn the volume of the navigation system WAY up, so I can hear it over the music, but I don't like it when my ears bleed. :(

Thank you for your answer. :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.