Broken negative terminal, can I share? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th October 2007, 03:45 AM   #1
O_ROD is offline O_ROD  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default Broken negative terminal, can I share?

Looking at buying a Harmon Kardon receiver for a bargain basement price. The only problem is the Negative terminal on the front left out put is broken off. My question is, would I be able to Use the Left positive lead and share the right negative lead? Would this work? Or how hard is it to change out binding posts?
Old 30th October 2007, 03:19 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Basically, if the price is right and you have some reasonable belief that the HK unit works:

>Buy it, then open the case and trace the wiring; find out if the negative spkr leads for both the right and left channels end up on the same place on a terminal or circuit board. If they do, then they're "common", and you can do what you said...
>Binding posts aren't difficult to change. Sometimes the end of the posts is soldered directly into a pc board, but on an older unit, this shouldn't be the case. If the negative post is separate (not part of a unit assembly that includes ALL spkr outputs), you can carefully unsolder the wire(s) and if necc, make sketch so you know where everything went..., then (always gently - don't want to hurt the old dear) unscrew the old bining post. You might try my audio favorite, Partsexpress.com; they have a very good selection of such harware.
If you're a purist, you may need to search for the EXACT style of binding post, but if you're more practical, ANY binding post should do, if it matches the physical space/dimensions.
Be careful, this is the output of the amp, so mustn't take the risk of a short... Feel free to contact me and I'll lead you through the work if it would help. Bdog
Old 30th October 2007, 03:24 PM   #3
O_ROD is offline O_ROD  Canada
diyAudio Member

Thanks a bunch for the info, I guess I'll have to open up the unit to see what I can do with it. I'll keep you posted and how everything goes.

Hide this!Advertise here!