2SJ162/2SK1058 - fake or real?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I just bought 2 pairs of Hitachi Lateral Mosfets 2SJ162 and 2SK1058... I hope.

As you can tell, I am suspicious. Why? Because of the price, markings, and shape of the 2SK1058.

1) The 2SK1058 is shaped differently than the diagram in the datasheet.

2) The markings are different from a picture I that I saw.(I have only seen the one pair, mind you)

3) The price was too good to be true!

Is it possible? Did I stumble upon the fabled free lunch?

Here's is the pic of the pair I've seen:

Attachments

• latfet.jpg
    latfet.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 2,681
The one on the right appears to be in a TO-264 case instead of the standard TO-3P case that most of the japanese semi manufacturers use.

I can't see hitachi switching case styles and keeping the same part number, as there are pretty significant differences in the lead spacing between TO-3P/TO-247 and TO-264 if I remember correctly, not to mention the different package outline that could "break" some designs using them.

There are "generic" chinese made clones of some japanese semis, such as the 2sa1302/2sc3281, but they don't have the Toshiba logo on them, and don't really "pretend" to be real devices. The TO-264 packaged device you have there DOES have a real Hitachi logo on it, so it's either a real device (seems unlikely, but you never know), or a fake.

Out of curiosity, did you buy those locally, Sean? I've been meaning to get some and was thinking about hitting pacificsemi up for a few. :)

One way to check of course would be to crack a complementary pair open and have a look at the dies -- if they're very similar, they hopefully will be real.

However, if they are real, you can be happy that you have at least one in the TO-264 package, as it's superior to the TO-3P in terms of thermal resistance and current handling (larger/thicker leads)

Edit: It's interesting to note that the lettering on the TO-264 packaged one actually looks like the known good ones, and the one in the correct TO-3P package style looks like it has odd lettering compared to the samples you posted above. Weird!

- Rick

here's a test you can do

it doesn't seem that the usual stockists have them in -- check www.findchips.com.

the Vgs(t) of the Hitachi devices is very low -- there's a test you can do yourself to compare it with a regular MOSFET -- take look at the charts in the PDF and you'll see.

Fabled saying at my graduate school alma mater <b>TANSTAFAL</b> -- "There ain't no such thing as a free lunch".

South India.

Hi Jackinnj,
I live in South India - in Chennai to be exact.
Have you been to this part of the country ? Want any 'tourism suggestions' ?

I get what you mean about the Vgs. Yes the Hitachi ones have very low Vgs - looks like a bjt base emitter voltage.
I bought some locally for about US$6.5( a pair). I have not tried them out yet. They look quite like the originals that I bought in Hong Kong a long time ago.

Cheers.

they turn on very quickly

and the point is that you need a lot more juide to get a regular MOSFET to "go". A couple months ago there were 4 or 5 sources in the US, now just one seems to have them in stock. Too bad as Randy Slone has another amplifier article recently published in Nuts N Volts using the devices.

brw, probably just Southern India -- I want to spend more time on the Orissan coast. Chennai is a great place.

http://www.avecchambre.com/india.htm
http://www.avecchambre.com/orissan_india.htm

Re: they turn on very quickly

jackinnj said:
and the point is that you need a lot more juide to get a regular MOSFET to "go". A couple months ago there were 4 or 5 sources in the US, now just one seems to have them in stock. Too bad as Randy Slone has another amplifier article recently published in Nuts N Volts using the devices.

If there are problems finding the Hitachis or there is a risk of
fakes, try getting the equivalents from Exicon or Semelab
(Magnatec) instead. Theyre both british and the Exicons can
be ordered directly from the manufacturer at very good prices.
I think Exicon ship outside Europe too for free.

www.exicon.com
http://www.magnatec-uk.co.uk/latmos.shtml

Fakes

I would say the 2SK1058 is a dud part! Hitachi never used this packing! Anyway, if you need the 2SKs and 2SJs in small quantities, I may be able to help you out as they're still somewhat available over here in Malaysia and my regular supplier services factories! I've used his parts without any problems at all. The price I believe is around USD8/- each but I'm not sure about postage though.

ckt : :)

I've also got a pair of suspicious 2SK1058 & 2SJ162. There are from a supplier that sold me the autentic and great sounding 2SK1530 & 2SJ201 that i've been using in my bedroom amplifier for months.

The 2SK1058 has the hitachi logo but does not have the lateral holes, while the 2SJ162 has only "J162" and "7B4" and is identical to all pictures exept in that it does not have any logo.

This amp is for a present so i really need to be sure that these transistors are reliable and that they do have negative tempco.

Any experience with similar-looking fakes?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.