Why are BG NX cheaper than N? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th October 2007, 06:54 AM   #1
sangram is offline sangram  India
diyAudio Member

Default Why are BG NX cheaper than N?

Hi

I was looking to place my first order of BGs, my first foray into 'exotic' components.

Wanted to know why the NX caps are cheaper than the N variation. At both Partsconnexion and Percy, the 47uF and 22uF NX run about 60% of the price of equivalent (higher voltage) BG N.

Since I only need them for coupling, 6.3 volt is OK rating for me.

So should I pick up NX or go for the more expensive (but supposedly lesser spec) N?

One last Q: Can I shorten the break-in time by hooking up the caps to a power supply source for 100 hours? I hear these things need 100 hours to break in :0 I've experienced a similar phenomenon with FCs, but that's half an hour for them to settle down, and once they hit operating temperature they're fine.

Thanks for your responses.

Sangram
Old 18th October 2007, 07:56 AM   #2
ssmith is offline ssmith  France
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Why are BG NX cheaper than N?

Quote:
Originally posted by sangram

the 47uF and 22uF NX run about 60% of the price of equivalent (higher voltage) BG N.
No idea, though think it's futile to try a deduce a price pattern from different V-rated caps. By the way, Soniccraft says the NX is improved over the N....
I use N's and NX's for coupling in a DAC and active Xover and I found them very clear and neutral, and better (and cheaper) than the various other caps I tried (including Audyn Cap plus, Mundorf Silver).
For break in, there is a lot of discussion -- including some people saying BGs can need frequent breaking in if not used regularly. I just went ahead and installed them and left it at that, leaving my dac/xover on 24/7 and not bothering to actually listen to whether any breaking in was going on... in any case I could not A/B test and I wouldn't trust my acoustic memory.

BTW I've found Indian post to be quite tolerant of the little packages I get delivered from the US.... never had any customs questions.
Old 18th October 2007, 11:17 AM   #3
sangram is offline sangram  India
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the advice, I'll go ahead and order them and use them like I normally (I just pop 'em in myself). I guess I'll go for the NX then, as I don't have any reference except for the locally available yellow metallised polypropylene caps and the FC and FM which I import. Let me see how well these things do - I'd using them as coupling caps for my soundcards (Delta66 and 1212m), where FCs are currently installed.

On that note - I've had variable experiences. I have paid huge customs duties on my Madisound order, and on the bigger Digikey orders. All my packages have been opened (but contents intact) for checking. I managed a few orders without customs, and nominal charges for some others. I managed to get in a handmade acoustic guitar without paying a cent - that, if valued, would have resulted in a huge amount of duty, but no one asked.

I guess it's all luck!

Hide this!Advertise here!