Why are BG NX cheaper than N?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Hi

I was looking to place my first order of BGs, my first foray into 'exotic' components.

Wanted to know why the NX caps are cheaper than the N variation. At both Partsconnexion and Percy, the 47uF and 22uF NX run about 60% of the price of equivalent (higher voltage) BG N.

Since I only need them for coupling, 6.3 volt is OK rating for me.

So should I pick up NX or go for the more expensive (but supposedly lesser spec) N?

One last Q: Can I shorten the break-in time by hooking up the caps to a power supply source for 100 hours? I hear these things need 100 hours to break in :0 I've experienced a similar phenomenon with FCs, but that's half an hour for them to settle down, and once they hit operating temperature they're fine.

Thanks for your responses.

Sangram

sangram said:

the 47uF and 22uF NX run about 60% of the price of equivalent (higher voltage) BG N.

No idea, though think it's futile to try a deduce a price pattern from different V-rated caps. By the way, Soniccraft says the NX is improved over the N....
I use N's and NX's for coupling in a DAC and active Xover and I found them very clear and neutral, and better (and cheaper) than the various other caps I tried (including Audyn Cap plus, Mundorf Silver).
For break in, there is a lot of discussion -- including some people saying BGs can need frequent breaking in if not used regularly. I just went ahead and installed them and left it at that, leaving my dac/xover on 24/7 and not bothering to actually listen to whether any breaking in was going on... in any case I could not A/B test and I wouldn't trust my acoustic memory.

BTW I've found Indian post to be quite tolerant of the little packages I get delivered from the US.... never had any customs questions.
:D

Joined 2002
Paid Member
Thanks for the advice, I'll go ahead and order them and use them like I normally (I just pop 'em in myself). I guess I'll go for the NX then, as I don't have any reference except for the locally available yellow metallised polypropylene caps and the FC and FM which I import. Let me see how well these things do - I'd using them as coupling caps for my soundcards (Delta66 and 1212m), where FCs are currently installed.

On that note - I've had variable experiences. I have paid huge customs duties on my Madisound order, and on the bigger Digikey orders. All my packages have been opened (but contents intact) for checking. I managed a few orders without customs, and nominal charges for some others. I managed to get in a handmade acoustic guitar without paying a cent - that, if valued, would have resulted in a huge amount of duty, but no one asked.

I guess it's all luck!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.