SMD resistors for audio

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm desperatly seeking for "audiophile approved" SMD resistors. All standard parts stocked by my distributor on TR seem to be inappropriate for audio. They sound much worse than even the lowest cost 0207 leaded metal film resistor.

I tried to order some melf / minimelf resistors but these seem to be going out of production soon.

Has anyone been through this before and can point me in the right direction?

I've been using 1206 chip resistor for audio extensively, and is happy with it.

Got some BC MMA0204 resistor from Farnell, but I'm not sure how much longer the supply will last...

No, I'm not going into the rediculous priced Vishay bulk metal :Popworm:

Audio-PCB-2.jpg

Ok, my words could have caused some misunderstanding.

I'm going surface mounted for the first time in an audio circuit. The leaded parts that I usually prefer are not available as SMD.

So I was just asking for good sounding SMD resistors, not some kind of snake oil "approval".

I would try the Bulk Metal Foil resistors from Vishay.
Texas Components in the US also has some bulk metal foil ones that might be easier to source.

One other optional SMD resistor you can try is the tantalum film resistor. The sound is not at all like the bulk metal foil ones. The bulk metal foil ones are to me much more transparent and without coloration, whereas the tantalum ones are more laid back and with less details. Some like the tants better, some don't.

Regards,
Sigurd

I know this topic is old. But maybe there are new recommendations around since then.

Still Vishay bulk metal ones are way to expensive. There is (and already was) said the tantalum resistors are better ones.

Recently I was looking for an appropriate resistor type for my headphone amplifier and found the IRC PFC series tantalum resistors (SMT) mentioned in an article. I searched it and can be bought from farnell for a very reasonable price meaning 1-2$ each. Anyone has any experience with these or with other smt resistors for audio use?
The PFC series resistors has 0.1% tolerance.
The datasheet is here:
http://www.irctt.com/file.aspx?produ...type=datasheet

Susumu smd resistors

Got introduced to Susumu smd R's when I bought a stepped attenuator from Scott Endler. I don't remember if I read it on his site ( this was about 3 yrs ago?), or he told me himself he was using them. It was the same time Goldpoint and Dact started using an "improved" smd resistor. The Nichrome material composition of these R's is supposed to be the same across the Susumu line, so look for the low TC ones, spec your need and order away. They sound wonderful in the Endler.
Again not 100% sure, but pretty sure, Goldpoint is speaking about the Susumu's.

Goldpoint stepped attenuators sound better than potentiometers, (even very expensive ones). This has been the consensus of audiophiles for many years. But unlike common potentiometers (or other stepped attenuator brands), our stepped attenuators provide very clear sound and precise signal level matching.
The surface mounted resistors used on the standard Goldpoint Mini-Vs are 0.1% Nichrome THIN film with a thermal noise specification (TCR) of 25 PPM or 50 PPM. These are the best sounding resistors I have ever used (or ever heard). They have an essentially transparent sonic signature. This makes them better than Vishay S102, IRC RC55, or even Caddock MK32 resistor types, in our opinion, because they are not adding or subtracting any sound qualities to or from your musical signals - just precisely accurate level control.

Go to Digikey and look at prices for these!!!! :D

I fount these:
Susumu RG2012N-102-W-T1
1.0K OHM 1/8W .05% 0805 SMD
Digikey has it for ~1$ each in 10pcs cut tape. Not bad at all.
At Farnell I saw:
Susumu RG2012N-102-B-T1 (same as above but 0.1% tolerance)
It is below 0.5$.
Do You compressit think this is the series You mentioned?

The one you chose looks good to try I guess.As I mentioned, I think the nichrome material they use is the same across their line, just different sizes and tolerances. Going to have to let your ears be the judge. The lowest TC and tolerance I saw was this. RG2012V1.0KPCT-ND but over 2 buxx ea with a minimun of 10.
I would try a 25 ppm TC with average tolerance (.1), thin film, and see how it goes. May be able to find in a bigger size than 0806 also.
Is this a new build, how will you compare between others and Susumu?

Now that you have me looking at these again, I remembered I was going to try some of these in a few places. It will take awhile but I will do so.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.