SMD resistors for audio - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th July 2011, 02:15 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

Default Susumu smd resistors

Got introduced to Susumu smd R's when I bought a stepped attenuator from Scott Endler. I don't remember if I read it on his site ( this was about 3 yrs ago?), or he told me himself he was using them. It was the same time Goldpoint and Dact started using an "improved" smd resistor. The Nichrome material composition of these R's is supposed to be the same across the Susumu line, so look for the low TC ones, spec your need and order away. They sound wonderful in the Endler.
Again not 100% sure, but pretty sure, Goldpoint is speaking about the Susumu's.

Goldpoint stepped attenuators sound better than potentiometers, (even very expensive ones). This has been the consensus of audiophiles for many years. But unlike common potentiometers (or other stepped attenuator brands), our stepped attenuators provide very clear sound and precise signal level matching.
The surface mounted resistors used on the standard Goldpoint Mini-Vs are 0.1% Nichrome THIN film with a thermal noise specification (TCR) of 25 PPM or 50 PPM. These are the best sounding resistors I have ever used (or ever heard). They have an essentially transparent sonic signature. This makes them better than Vishay S102, IRC RC55, or even Caddock MK32 resistor types, in our opinion, because they are not adding or subtracting any sound qualities to or from your musical signals - just precisely accurate level control.

Go to Digikey and look at prices for these!!!!
Old 24th July 2011, 07:50 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

I fount these:
Susumu RG2012N-102-W-T1
1.0K OHM 1/8W .05% 0805 SMD
Digikey has it for ~1$ each in 10pcs cut tape. Not bad at all.
At Farnell I saw:
Susumu RG2012N-102-B-T1 (same as above but 0.1% tolerance)
It is below 0.5$.
Do You compressit think this is the series You mentioned?
Old 24th July 2011, 02:20 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

The one you chose looks good to try I guess.As I mentioned, I think the nichrome material they use is the same across their line, just different sizes and tolerances. Going to have to let your ears be the judge. The lowest TC and tolerance I saw was this. RG2012V1.0KPCT-ND but over 2 buxx ea with a minimun of 10.
I would try a 25 ppm TC with average tolerance (.1), thin film, and see how it goes. May be able to find in a bigger size than 0806 also.
Is this a new build, how will you compare between others and Susumu?

Now that you have me looking at these again, I remembered I was going to try some of these in a few places. It will take awhile but I will do so.
Old 24th July 2011, 06:45 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

In fact I am building (soon) a headphone amp and no special SMT resistors are available locally. Because I have to order from abroad, I try to find others opinion on the now available resistors. Still looking, but I have to check availability with international shipping too.

Hide this!Advertise here!