Will these work as input selectors?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,
standard wafer switch with a good substrate.
They have a wiping action on the contacts, helping to reduce the effect of corrosion.
No mention of contact material or coating/plating.

You may need to clean these annually. Switch cleaner and lots of twiddling usually works. Make sure power is completely off and allow time for volatiles to evaporate.

They often have a high torque requirement and need a flat ground on the shaft with a strong knob locking screw.

Have a look at the aikido attenuator. A cascaded pair of low db step change (also doubles up as balance control) and a high db step change to cover a range of 0 to -60db in 1db steps.
But change the resistor values from the standard supplied (all the values in the tables ignore the usual rule of attenuator <<< than Zin that follows).

Thanks for the suggestion Andrew.

I actually have a stereo noble pot lying around for volume control.

Interesting observation on the torque required to turn that particular knob.

My dad is older, but not elderly. I would like to think he could be using this preamp for the rest of his life. A very stiff selector would be a bad choice I think.

I am going to go ahead and order something audiophile-ish for dad since I already had the volume pot.

Thanks guys - Evan

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.