Unused secondaries - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th October 2007, 08:38 AM   #1
pilli is offline pilli  France
diyAudio Member

Default Unused secondaries

Hi,
I remember reading something about this, but I can NOT find it again. So thanks for your patience...

I have a lot of transformers pulled from scrapped equipment, and often they have the secondary I need, but also several other secondaries.
Should anything special be done with these unused secondaries?
Leave them open? Something to "avoid ringing"?

The usage if for little power supplies, like dedicated power supply for a CD player output stage, or experiments with phono amplifiers, etc.
Nothing switching, just plain PSUs with a rectifier, caps, regulators.

Thanks,
G.

_
Old 7th October 2007, 09:11 AM   #2
Did it Himself
diyAudio Member

Just tape or heatshrink the ends of the wires up. Bear in mind that you do not gain any extra power for your used winding by not using these other windings.
Old 7th October 2007, 09:14 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Hi Richie,

Quote:
Originally posted by richie00boy
Bear in mind that you do not gain any extra power for your used winding by not using these other windings.
Really? I always thought you gained 50% of the VA of the unused winding (if the wire size is OK with it)
Old 7th October 2007, 09:28 AM   #4
MRupp is offline MRupp  Germany
diyAudio Member

Not that I have tried this but you could - carefully - load the unused secondaries with a capacitor to dampen higher frequencies passing through the transformer and so improve line noise rejection? For more details see patent no 6087822 from Menno Van Veen.
Old 7th October 2007, 09:37 AM   #5
Zen Mod is offline Zen Mod  Serbia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MRupp
Not that I have tried this but you could - carefully - load the unused secondaries with a capacitor to dampen higher frequencies passing through the transformer and so improve line noise rejection? For more details see patent no 6087822 from Menno Van Veen.

isn't better just grounding one end of winding........ ?
Old 7th October 2007, 09:51 AM   #6
Did it Himself
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Geek
Really? I always thought you gained 50% of the VA of the unused winding (if the wire size is OK with it)
The wire size is usually the limiting factor not the core size, i.e. it's unusual to have much spare capacity in the wire size for more current.
Old 7th October 2007, 09:58 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Hmmm - as I have not tried this I cannot really say. IMHO grounding makes sense if the unused winding happens to be between the primary (innermost ?) winding and the used secondaries, in which case it would be an additional shield winding (Schirmwicklung ?).
Old 7th October 2007, 10:05 AM   #8
Zen Mod is offline Zen Mod  Serbia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MRupp
Hmmm - as I have not tried this I cannot really say. IMHO grounding makes sense if the unused winding happens to be between the primary (innermost ?) winding and the used secondaries, in which case it would be an additional shield winding (Schirmwicklung ?).

Ja, Schirmwicklung .

there can be benefits even if winding in case isn't between primary and used secondary ; many xformers have "cover" shield (often just one Cu strip) , besides electrostatische schirmwicklung
Old 7th October 2007, 10:14 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Default Ja, Schirmwicklung

Upon further reflection I would say that the "schirmwicklung" lowers capacitive coupling between primary and secondary windings, while the loading of additional windings alla Van Veen dampens the magnetic field in the core and hence the magnetic coupling of unwanted frequencies. Maybe the two could even be combinded?

Hide this!Advertise here!