Welborne Labs Horrible Service

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey all,

I have placed several orders through Welborne Labs over the past two years, probably bought around $500 worth of their stuff. They have typically been very slow to ship, but I always at least recieved what I ordered and found the quality to be very good.

Back in June I ordered a power supply and matching transformer as well as some other parts through them. I recieved the power supply after waiting around 2 months, but when I asked about the transformer and other parts I was told they would no longer be available. OK, no biggie I thought, so I asked they refund the approximately $130 I had paid for these through paypal.

Well after several months of getting nothing but automated responses saying they were moving, they changed their email address. I have sent two emails to the new address and no response. I am at the point where I assume either they are going to just ignore me until I forget about it, or they are not in business any longer. I fully understand how hard it is for small companies to make things work, but this seems a bit ridiculous.

Anyone else having the same issues with them? Please share, I am curious to see if I will ever see my money back.

Head over to Audio Asylum's General forum and do a search for Welborne. You will find a few long threads with plenty of people in your situation. Quite a few have contacted the BBB, the State's Attorney Office, etc.

Too bad, because I have met Ron W a few times and he is/was a great, honest, guy. Fun to hang out with and listen to music or just talk about anything. Seems that about 1.5-2 years ago, things started to go off the tracks and at this point, it's a wreck.

I have his DRD 300B monoblock amps and they are fantastic. I wanted to upgrade them to Terraplane level, but don't think will be happening now.

Back in April I had similar experience but luckily got everything, eventually. The wait and response was horrible. Have a remote attenuator selector kit and other parts, which some were wrong, from them. Will never purchase from them again unless there was some kind of explanation or promise to deliver (basically acknowledging their woes and how addressing).

Why bother to continue if operating like that? Don't take people hostage.

I ordered and paid for a selector board for the remote attenuator before the summer and got no shipping confirmation or any other response from Ron so, after reading many unsatisfied customers´
stories, I cancelled and got a partial refund from PayPal. After the summer I see they´ve changed address and give it a second chance (I needed the selector board badly). This time the service was perfect so I´ve ordered yet another board ( needed two)that seems to be on its way. I´ll confirm when it arrives.

Update

To all who have had similar issues...I forwarded the link to this thread to their new email address and guess what...I finally got a full refund!

As mentioned, the only issue I still have is that the refund did not come with an explanation. I would be worried to order again just for that reason as it is impossible to know if the lack of response is due to the business being unstable. Perhaps now that I have sent the link to this thread Mr. Welborne will respond to set the record straight.

Again, I have had no issues with the quality of their products, but to me in this day and age not responding to emails from customers for months is not acceptable.

Similar experience

Like you, for a few years, I'd successfully order from Wlabs. Then, I had one part of an order, get 'backordered' and I've been waiting for nearly 11 months now. I waited patiently and then called in the BBB early last summer. They did their standard procedures and Wlabs did not reply to their requests. Nor my subsequent e-mails.

If I had the time, I would have gone to their booth at Rockey Mountain Audio Fest to ask for my money back, my completed order, or start picketing in front of the booth. I know my orders are small compared to what might be their bigger customers, but that is no excuse. All my e-mails were polite and respectful.

If anybody has had success, please advise.

Cheers, Ryan

If I had the time, I would have gone to their booth at Rockey Mountain Audio Fest to ask for my money back

They were a no-show at RMAF. Which is a shame. I think starting a DIY audio supply may seem like a good idea at first, but in reality should only be undertaken as a sideline. DIY types often tend to be intinerant cheapskates so while there may seem to be a large market out there, the actual user base is limited.

John

I had a similar story involving some components,

After at least 10 unresponded emails, I manged to get a full refund (and rather quickly - without explaination ofcourse) as I told them I was contacting Visa as I had been a victim of fraud over the internet.

Worth a try if anyone isn't getting anywhere

Regards

Dan

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Sbrtoy:

Lots of people have had problems with Mr. Welborne, myself included (http://www.audioasylum.com/cgi/m.pl?forum=tweaks&n=144764&highlight=welborne+SRMcGee&r=&session=). It's disappointing that he treats his customers so shoddily, but even more disappointing that he is able to get away with it.

There are plenty of other parts suppliers out there, and while Ron offers some unusual kits, the financial risks in buying them may outweigh the benefit. I urge people to support other vendors until Welborne Labs cleans up its act (if ever).

Regards,
Scott

Hi Guys,

Nothing has changed at Welborne. I ordered two of his wood bases and four metal panels and hardware. I received the bases and two incorrectly sized metal plates and one set of hardware. I've written to him a number of times asking for the correct plates or a refund with no response whatsoever. Spend your money elsewhere.

Regards,

I filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau (there is a Denver area office with a web site). They made efforts on my behalf and Welborne Labs ignored them. Still, I suggest you file a complaint as well. If there are enough against him, then perhaps the state legal system can work on our behalf. If it's not documented, then they (the lawyers) have nothing to go on. Internet fraud is a serious crime. If he's not providing goods that he advertises and people have paid for, well, I don't know what else to call it.

I've waited nearly 2 years for a reply/parts.... but who is counting.

R

I had the same problem with welborne labs

I ordered some parts from them.
When I received the order, some of the parts were missing and some of them were wrong.
I have tried to contact welborne labs for 3 weeks.
No reply from them.

I tried to file a complaint with Paypal, since I used paypal.
I thought it was safe.
It turned out, Paypal has no protection for non-ebay transaction.
Paypal won't refund me the money.

Again, I suggest the Better Business Bureau. They may get no joy, but at least the problems will be documented in a formal way. Then, perhaps, they can go to the state of Colorado legal system to sort things out.

Here's the link: http://denver.bbb.org/

Follow the 'consumer' links and there you'll find a place to file a complaint on line. It does not take much time and you will receive e-mail updates of their progress.

If anyone has an idea of who to approach on the legal side, say in the State's Attorneys' General Office, I'd be happy to write.

EDIT: Here you go. I found this. It's another form but if all of us sent it in with our individual complaints, perhaps we might get some movement. I will let you know if I get anywhere:

http://www.ago.state.co.us/consline/complaint.pdf

Good luck,

Ryan

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.