Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd October 2007, 03:55 AM   #1
PM650 is offline PM650  United States
diyAudio Member

Default wtb: pcb screw-type ground point

I'm looking for a star shaped through-hole component for a sizeable power supply using screw terminal caps. The pcb I am using for the the supply is not double sided, so I need some way to connect them to the pcb (preferably w/o wires). These are used as a star ground in yamaha amps; see pic atattched: Click the image to open in full size.
Old 2nd October 2007, 06:55 AM   #2
diyAudio Moderator

I have never seen anything like that, it may well be a custom part. Still, it could be easily made with a piece of copper sheet and a pair of small tin snips.
Old 2nd October 2007, 07:11 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to jacco vermeulen
That stuff used to be standard production but is likely outdated and hard to find.
Taking Al's advice and diy something similar is easier and mucho sturdier, the ones i've seen were shabby tin can stuff that look like remnants of 70s Japanese and old school tube amps.
Old 5th October 2007, 07:07 AM   #4
OzMikeH is offline OzMikeH  Australia
diyAudio Member

solder 1mm pins in all of the holes then use those 8 of those ring lugs of similar shape to those used for RCA socket grounds connections.
Old 9th October 2007, 01:53 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Make one, using brass or copper sheet, with standard PCB etching techiques. You can then make any shape you want, easily, and it will be flat (unlike trying to use snips). Easiest is to completely mask one side of the metal sheet, and draw your pattern on the other side, then etch with your preferred etchant (Ferric Chloride and Ammonium Persulphate will both work with brass or copper).

I've made all sorts of horribly complicated sheet metal shapes this way (shields, springs, even a solder paste stencil!).
Old 10th October 2007, 03:39 AM   #6
PM650 is offline PM650  United States
diyAudio Member

This application isn't exactly critical, so I've decided to use a few of these instead (though not as many as I would like, they're $0.16 each!).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg part.jpg (11.5 KB, 26 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!