Poodle gives clues to capacitor construction

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi
I realised yesterday upon returning home that my standard poodle was indeed an audiophile.
I had left a metallized pp cap out on the coffee table and of course said poodle decide to strip the caps outer sheath and show me whats in it. Foil.. lots of it. Which begs the question... is that all? I know mundorfs use virtually 2 caps in their silver in oil caps to reduce induction which is why they have a voltage rating of 1200V but may i assume that all other caps just use some form of film which is metallised on one side.
So what makes them different? WHat confers the sound?
In the true spirit of diy has anyone rolled their own?
Nick

yes - that is all that is in there. As few as two plates and a dielectric of some sort can make a capacitor.

But what should the dialectric be? wax paper? Oil impregated paper? Air? how thick should it be? so many things that need to be worked out in building one.

Just imagine the electrons on one side of the wax paper wiggling and causing the ones on the other side to wiggle as well. They both have a charge - get it? No electrons can pass the dialectric though... Now you understand what a capacitor does.

Air makes a superb dielectric. But air pressure changes often, humidity is a big factor, and you need rigid plates or they will touch... so perhaps it is not really that good.

Then you can use wax paper. But you need it really thin. And evenly thin too. Not easy. Oil coated paper is great, but oil can leak out. Very thin coat of Teflon on aluminum or copper film? Superb, but very expensive...

all things being equal though

Hi
I wonder given just the metallized pp capacitor as to how different they are inside. Does Auricap have a better peice of metallised cling wrap inside than say a solen? It makes a difference though as my ears are witness to that.
Anyone else dismantled a pp cap?
Nick

Re: Re: all things being equal though

Magura said:

I've dismantled loads of caps to see how well they were made, mostly I got dissapointed when cracking an "audio" cap open. Contrary to that, most of the industrial stuff is pretty well made.

Magura :)

So, Mr. Magoo,

Are you suggesting we abandon our wicked nice audio caps in favor of oil motor run caps - or something????

:yes: ;)

Re: Re: Re: all things being equal though

mpmarino said:

So, Mr. Magoo,

Are you suggesting we abandon our wicked nice audio caps in favor of oil motor run caps - or something????

:yes: ;)

Mr. Orange,

Yes I am suggesting we abandon the lower quality caps, I have given my socalled audiophool caps away, and not to my best friends ;)

As you have already doomed me to be certified insane, I can say this with no fear :cool:

Magura :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.