Big Paper in Oil Caps

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Solen makes 51 uf 1500V PP caps that are about 2" dia by 4 and1/2" long and may have suppliers everywhere. Other than that Motor run caps are available on e-bay most places and they are good for around twice the AC voltage. I have seen 80uf 500V AC on e-bay for 12 deflating american bucks.

A piece of advice.....

Those caps must be more than 20 years old by now, so I would consider buying them to be risky business.

There are other options out there for both better and surely more reliable film caps, also bigger than 100 uF.

I have bought myself a handfull of PP in oil and a few PP in Nitrogen caps, ranging from 165uF to around 500uF as I recall. Those caps are though limited to 600V at full ripple. Reality is a lot closer to 1000V for audio use.

Magura :)

I use in some projects the same russians caps.
Also I have the same type of caps,only 68uf/400V but was made early 1965.
I put them on meter and I test those.
The real value is 67.89uf.
More than that I open some of these.They are really build and are garanted for life.The oil is still there and a lot.
Comparing with other polipropilene I prefer those.But should be tested first:D ;)

I bought a case of 4 of these recently, and they arrived one week later in the UK. I paid $109 including shipping, which cost me £57.

I have tested all three with my LCR meter: two are 114.3uF and the others are about 116uF.

The crate was unopened and dated 1977. The caps are externally perfect.

I currently use 3x 20uF versions of the same caps in the crossovers of my speakers (open baffle fostex fe207e and eminence alpha 15a crossed over at about 275Hz). I have also tried large value polypropylenes but don't like these as much. Dynamically there is no comparison - just listen to any percussive music and the difference is clear.

I'm not sure what I'll use these new caps for yet.

Attachments

• pic-0005small.jpg
    pic-0005small.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 293
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.