Do you keep an inventory ? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st September 2007, 01:04 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to travis
Default Do you keep an inventory ?

In the process of moving I realized that I have a lot of components. Lots of stuff from projects that I never finished that I forgot that I owned. I thought to myself, You should put all this stuff into an inventory on your computer if you have time, self.

So I was just wondering if there are programs out there for this type of thing. Do you use one? Which one? Would you if one existed?
Old 21st September 2007, 02:10 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

It would take me more time to count things than the parts are worth, but I do keep a list of semiconductors and resistors, just so I know what's available. Any database or Excel, or Access, works fine. I certainly wouldn't fool with a specialty program, though it would be easy enough to write one.
Old 21st September 2007, 03:18 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to ocool_15 Send a message via Yahoo to ocool_15
I just use excel sheets as you can always search if your not sure if you already have a part.

I inventory my crossover parts so when I'm designing I try to work with components I already own. I keep my Packing slips so I have a list of things that should be around like power caps and semiconductors.
Old 21st September 2007, 03:36 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

I'd rather spend the time not finishing another project...
Old 21st September 2007, 03:51 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Better than keeping a stuffy list in a computer somewhere is having the parts in a labeled drawer so you can do a quick visual scan of what's there and stuff some boards. Right now a lot of my goodies are residing in small brown paper sacks - that's got to change, as one brown paper bag looks pretty much like the other.
Old 21st September 2007, 04:11 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Actually, I try to keep 5-10 of every part ever made on hand. That way an inventory sheet isn't really necessary.
Old 21st September 2007, 05:36 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Conrad Hoffman
Actually, I try to keep 5-10 of every part ever made on hand. That way an inventory sheet isn't really necessary.

There's the right idea!
Old 21st September 2007, 07:54 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Conrad Hoffman
Then the problem just becomes finding what you need

I have a small enough 'inventory' of spare parts that I usually have an intuitive sense for what I should have laying around. The problem always becomes finding what I'm looking for among the 3 or 4 open DigiKey boxes I usually have laying around my work area. In fact, it's usually a worse problem because I rummage quickly without reading the labels...
Old 24th September 2007, 03:39 PM   #9
cpemma is offline cpemma  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

One way I try to do is to keep the invoices in a folder and cross things off (or reduce the number) as they're used; it's easier than trying to read the markings on semis and less work than transferring to another paper or PC system.
Old 24th September 2007, 10:56 PM   #10
taj is offline taj
diyAudio Member

I did create a quick and dirty inventory database in Filemaker Pro, but if you miss updating it after one purchase or soldering session, then it's not accurate, so it's useless.

You're welcome to have a copy of that database if you want, but it requires the Filemaker program to run, and it's probably much simpler for you to just use Excel or Access or even a text file list.

..Todd

Hide this!Advertise here!