Comments, opinions on this equalizer.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I suspect the primary reason equalizers "sound bad" is that using them right/well is so bad. Even if you could avoid phase shift (which I think is the case when they operate on digital streams), It is very hard not to make the freq response worse rather than better.

I've fount the ones like Behriger's "auto EQ" do a better job than I can even when I come equipped with RTAs, SPL meters, test disc's etc.

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
sam9 said:
I suspect the primary reason equalizers "sound bad" is that using them right/well is so bad.

Hi Sam,
I've seen these set in the "classic V", where the sliders slope up wards from flat in the middle to maximum at the ends. This would create so much distortion, it would be hard to measure.

I'm finding that the maximum boost before clipping on this unit is +2.5db and the maximum cut is about -4. Any adjustment outside of that narrow range causes massive distortion.

Anyway, I didn't expect much from this, just something to play with. At some point in the future I may convert it to parametric, with fewer bands and a limited range.

MJL21193 said:
Part of the reason for this exercise is to prove to myself how much of a difference these "tweaks" make. You read a lot here about how different power supply caps sound this way or that way. I've always believed that to be nonsense.

You need to peel the plastic sleeve off the capacitor too. :rolleyes:
Of course, a magic power cord will make all the difference.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.