Theater receiver blew, what are my options with this thing?? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th September 2007, 09:58 PM   #1
O_ROD is offline O_ROD  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default Theater receiver blew, what are my options with this thing??

hey guys, after a recent lightning storm my Yamaha HTR-5640 decided to stop working! Well, the unit powers on and I can scroll through all the options, just I can't get any sound out of the unit.

Is there a way I can repair/replace the damaged parts. What am I looking for that can be damaged? I checked both fuses inside and there fine. What does lightning usually blow?

Please guys, I don't have money to replace it and the sound without this thing blows, any help will be much appreciated, thanks.
Old 13th September 2007, 10:06 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

I don't know much about newer electronics but i would look for the surface mount part with the smallest pins, this is probably what is blown. I think fets are sensitive to voltage also.
Old 13th September 2007, 10:10 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

So your saying it's most likely the thing with the smaller contact points?

What are the chances that the problem is visible and not internal?
Old 17th September 2007, 03:13 AM   #4
dangus is offline dangus  Canada
diyAudio Member

Can you verify whether any sound goes through it at all, like to the tape monitor or preamp, sub or headphone outputs? If those work, it might just be an output protection relay that isn't operating. That isn't necessarily trivial to fix, but more doable than troubleshooting some surface-mount DSP surround processor brain chip.

I'm afraid your best bet would be to sell it as-is on eBay for whatever you can get, then hunt around for a cheap replacement.
Old 19th September 2007, 10:39 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

nothing on it works, sub outputs, tape, nothing... I don't think I'm going to bother Ebaying it, just shoot it in the garbage
Old 20th September 2007, 01:14 PM   #6
DonoMan is offline DonoMan  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to DonoMan
Use it as an excuse to get your wife (or your budget-minded conscience, in the event that you don't have a wife) to give you the OK on an (expensive) upgrade
Old 20th September 2007, 10:18 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

lol, I just bought a second car "summer toy", pretty sure she'll have my left nut if I ask for a new receiver too!
Old 20th September 2007, 10:26 PM   #8
Nordic is offline Nordic  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Keep the case incase you evr do decide to try some DIY... the box, transformers and heatsinks alone should be worth a few bucks....

I didn't know I became such a scrounger, but my heart almost leapt out of my chest when you said you were going to trash it.
Old 21st September 2007, 05:51 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

I see your point. I really don't want to shoot it out, but I don't have much experience with this kind of stuff. It's depressing seeing it sitting here, along with my entire theater out of commision! I'm scrunging ebay for a cheap replacement now.

I just made a small cd set up using an old playstation, behringer FD pro and my QSC MX 700 amp to tide me over a lil while
Old 21st September 2007, 08:36 PM   #10
eyedoc is offline eyedoc  United States
diyAudio Member

do we really need our left nut anyway?!?!?!

Hide this!Advertise here!