Theater receiver blew, what are my options with this thing??

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hey guys, after a recent lightning storm my Yamaha HTR-5640 decided to stop working! Well, the unit powers on and I can scroll through all the options, just I can't get any sound out of the unit.

Is there a way I can repair/replace the damaged parts. What am I looking for that can be damaged? I checked both fuses inside and there fine. What does lightning usually blow?

Please guys, I don't have money to replace it and the sound without this thing blows, any help will be much appreciated, thanks.

Can you verify whether any sound goes through it at all, like to the tape monitor or preamp, sub or headphone outputs? If those work, it might just be an output protection relay that isn't operating. That isn't necessarily trivial to fix, but more doable than troubleshooting some surface-mount DSP surround processor brain chip.

I'm afraid your best bet would be to sell it as-is on eBay for whatever you can get, then hunt around for a cheap replacement.

I see your point. I really don't want to shoot it out, but I don't have much experience with this kind of stuff. It's depressing seeing it sitting here, along with my entire theater out of commision! I'm scrunging ebay for a cheap replacement now.

I just made a small cd set up using an old playstation, behringer FD pro and my QSC MX 700 amp to tide me over a lil while :)

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Finally had a chance to tear the receiver apart. Found the damage the lightning did! :eek:

How do I repair that? Could I solder a copper wire from one end sticking up to the other? It doesn't look like anything connected on that bar except for these black lines going through it. Also, one of those black box thingies has a white whole in it. (I know nothing about electronics, lol.)

What do you guys think? That's all the damage I found and it's on the board that holds all the inputs so this could be my problem :)

I'm really not an expert on this, but if the damage was strong enough to kill that trace, it has killed some other parts for sure.

I think you will need more work to get the unit going than to solder in a wire. Don't forget, a trace has near zero resistance, the parts limit the current - and if even the trace is blown...

All the best, Hannes

I'm really not an expert on this, but if the damage was strong enough to kill that trace, it has killed some other parts for sure.

That's what I thought of after posting. The unit is going in the garbage, I have a feeling there is more damage than I can handle on this one. Oh well, at least I tried, :D

I found a few cheap replacements on Ebay, I'll just take one of those for under 200 bucks.

I tried soldering the wire across it and it didn't change much. I also tried to find some replacement chips for the ones that looked blown but to no avail. I went to my local audio dealer and they got a few deals going on now like don't pay for 6 months and what not. The Denon's really impressed me and I'm still hung up on Yamaha's seeing as my last one served me well for over 5 years... I think half the fun of getting a new toy is the shopping around :)

To keep your landfill from overflowing (actually mine, I live in MI), I will paypal you the shipping costs and packaging costs to recycle that thing. I can use a bunch of the part in that thing for my electronics club's frugal amp builds.

It will save more than it costs because we would order the parts new you are throwing away so the shipping is the same.

Tell me what you want to pack it and ship it. You can even throw in a few $ for your new unit if you like. Sorry I can't help you fix it.

I email should be visible, if not I'll post it.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
FYI
Sometimes electronic components, tvs, and computers damaged by a lightening strike might be covered under home owners insurance policy. In this case any deductible would have made a claim pointless.

You need to figure out how the damage occurred. Outdoor antennas, phone lines and cable should be effectively grounded where they enter the house and surge suppressors used on ac power. A xenon spark gap (gas tube suppressor) on the tv cable will provide some protection as well. Unplugging if safe to do so at the onset of severe thunderstorms is also a good idea. (Connections to cable and power) Do not do this if the storm is anywhere nearby - it may be a good way to get hurt or electrocuted!

Our house took a near direct hit a year ago September, and to my very considerable surprise we lost nothing... No doubt shear luck, some of our neighbors were not so lucky. Everything in our house except the gas line (illegal to do in our neck of the woods) is bonded to the electrical and water pipe grounds, our grounded aluminum siding probably helped. (One heck of a big Faraday cage around the house.)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.