Opinions on gold plated fuses.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thumbs up on the most economical upgrade I've done in awhile! I am guessing this is going to be a HUGE upgrade for amps and other devices that don't already have AHP fuses.

he's a phool alright.......looking at other audiophool snake oil gadgets out there, I see where he's coming from to say a $30 fuse is economical. :clown:

the fuse has OFC copper end caps and OFC copper fuse element. what next? pure silver fuses? oh wait!!! don't copy my idea!!!! I'm going to make and sell pure silver fuses soon!!! :smash:

you could get gold plated fuses for car audio for about $1-2 but that is no fun. (and it aint cryo treated) :D

I just found a suitable circuit diagram...I knew it had to be somewhere :D

Attachments

• fusekiller.gif
    fusekiller.gif
    7.2 KB · Views: 346
Let's see... I can go to the local welding gas supplier and get liquid nitrogen for a couple bucks a liter- it stores just fine in those big Stanley vacuum bottles for coffee, just remove the rubber gasket from the cap so you don't make a bomb! Then, for something under $100, probably a lot under, I can order up a brush plating kit for gold and a variety of other metals. Now, what special audiophool parts can I cryo treat, gold plate, and sell for 1000X markup? BTW, try to buy oxygen bearing copper! You'll find that the standard production processes used today give essentially oxygen free copper, so I wouldn't give anybody a single penny more for making that claim. My guess is the difference between "official" certified oxygen free copper, and most of the rest is too small to matter.

ak_47_boy said:
I have heard audiophools say that gold plating degrades the sound because the signal has to pass threw a layer of gold which is not as good a conductor as copper. Then they sell 99.99999999999999 percent copper RCA plugs saying they will not oxidize because they are oxygen free.

I have seen ads that say any plating degrades sound. I have seen the ads for the unplated copper but not claims of oxygen free, oxidation free copper.
So I take it cryo treating is not thought of as legitimate either...............

Conrad Hoffman said:
My guess is the difference between "official" certified oxygen free copper, and most of the rest is too small to matter.

The quality of copper actually differs quite a bit. I work for a company that is processing hundreds of tons of copper anually. The type of copper in question is E grade copper. It differs both in hardness and material structure. Oxygene free copper is not more consisten in quality according to my experience.

Magura :)

For fuses, no, there doesn't seem to be much legitimacy; besides there being absolutely no good evidence that cryoing a fuse makes any electrical or sonic difference to an amplifier's performance, there's no even vaguely plausible explanation of why it even could be so within the constraints of well-established physics.

On other issues (e.g., cryoed tubes), there may be something there, but there's as yet no actual hard evidence that the process does anything audible or even measurable.

SY said:
For fuses, no, there doesn't seem to be much legitimacy; besides there being absolutely no good evidence that cryoing a fuse makes any electrical or sonic difference to an amplifier's performance, there's no even vaguely plausible explanation of why it even could be so within the constraints of well-established physics.

On other issues (e.g., cryoed tubes), there may be something there, but there's as yet no actual hard evidence that the process does anything audible or even measurable.

I don't see fuses, and honestly I don't see tubes. Doesn't cryoing metal change the molecular structure?
I dunno. If so, I cound'n't see any audible benefits.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.