Opinions on gold plated fuses. - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th September 2007, 11:47 PM   #11
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Make sure to use an isolation transformer.

Old 12th September 2007, 11:54 PM   #12
Magura is offline Magura  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SY
Make sure to use an isolation transformer.

Right, safety first !!!

EDIT: yes I know it's against the forum rules to go transformerless

Magura
Old 13th September 2007, 12:24 PM   #13
djQUAN is offline djQUAN  Philippines
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to djQUAN Send a message via Yahoo to djQUAN
Quote:
Originally posted by Magura

Right, safety first !!!

EDIT: yes I know it's against the forum rules to go transformerless

Magura

for best results, you need to use a 1kVA toroid wound with 100% silver wire.
Old 13th September 2007, 06:54 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Let's see... I can go to the local welding gas supplier and get liquid nitrogen for a couple bucks a liter- it stores just fine in those big Stanley vacuum bottles for coffee, just remove the rubber gasket from the cap so you don't make a bomb! Then, for something under $100, probably a lot under, I can order up a brush plating kit for gold and a variety of other metals. Now, what special audiophool parts can I cryo treat, gold plate, and sell for 1000X markup? BTW, try to buy oxygen bearing copper! You'll find that the standard production processes used today give essentially oxygen free copper, so I wouldn't give anybody a single penny more for making that claim. My guess is the difference between "official" certified oxygen free copper, and most of the rest is too small to matter.
Old 13th September 2007, 09:14 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

I have heard audiophools say that gold plating degrades the sound because the signal has to pass threw a layer of gold which is not as good a conductor as copper. Then they sell 99.99999999999999 percent copper RCA plugs saying they will not oxidize because they are oxygen free.
Old 13th September 2007, 09:35 PM   #16
hags is offline hags  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ak_47_boy
I have heard audiophools say that gold plating degrades the sound because the signal has to pass threw a layer of gold which is not as good a conductor as copper. Then they sell 99.99999999999999 percent copper RCA plugs saying they will not oxidize because they are oxygen free.

I have seen ads that say any plating degrades sound. I have seen the ads for the unplated copper but not claims of oxygen free, oxidation free copper.
So I take it cryo treating is not thought of as legitimate either...............
Old 13th September 2007, 10:24 PM   #17
Magura is offline Magura  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Conrad Hoffman
My guess is the difference between "official" certified oxygen free copper, and most of the rest is too small to matter.

The quality of copper actually differs quite a bit. I work for a company that is processing hundreds of tons of copper anually. The type of copper in question is E grade copper. It differs both in hardness and material structure. Oxygene free copper is not more consisten in quality according to my experience.

Magura
Old 13th September 2007, 10:25 PM   #18
diyAudio Moderator

For fuses, no, there doesn't seem to be much legitimacy; besides there being absolutely no good evidence that cryoing a fuse makes any electrical or sonic difference to an amplifier's performance, there's no even vaguely plausible explanation of why it even could be so within the constraints of well-established physics.

On other issues (e.g., cryoed tubes), there may be something there, but there's as yet no actual hard evidence that the process does anything audible or even measurable.
Old 13th September 2007, 10:35 PM   #19
hags is offline hags  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SY
For fuses, no, there doesn't seem to be much legitimacy; besides there being absolutely no good evidence that cryoing a fuse makes any electrical or sonic difference to an amplifier's performance, there's no even vaguely plausible explanation of why it even could be so within the constraints of well-established physics.

On other issues (e.g., cryoed tubes), there may be something there, but there's as yet no actual hard evidence that the process does anything audible or even measurable.

I don't see fuses, and honestly I don't see tubes. Doesn't cryoing metal change the molecular structure?
I dunno. If so, I cound'n't see any audible benefits.
Old 13th September 2007, 11:37 PM   #20
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Doesn't cryoing metal change the molecular structure?
That's the claim.

Hide this!Advertise here!