Laser or water cutting back panels? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th September 2007, 05:13 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Laser or water cutting back panels?

I need a back panel with about 400 3/8" holes for RCA/BNC and a few vga, and dvi holes for a diy AV switch. Where is the best place to get this done? Cost?
Old 9th September 2007, 05:24 AM   #2
Magura is offline Magura  Denmark
diyAudio Member

It's sure cheaper to have it laser cut. For a panel there is no difference in quality between the two options. Tolerances are not an issue.

Magura

EDIT: This is naturally only true for thin sheet, as laser cutting holes of smaller diameter than the thickness of the sheet, is somewhat difficult.
Old 9th September 2007, 02:59 PM   #3
y8s is offline y8s  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to y8s Send a message via MSN to y8s Send a message via Yahoo to y8s
www.rapidsheetmetal.com is a great resource. send them your requirements and they'll turn around a quote in a day or so.

I believe they use laser.

I expect it'll cost close to 100 USD for qty 1.

Otherwise, check your local yellow pages for a sheetmetal shop, but the price will likely be similar.
Old 9th September 2007, 03:17 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to jacco vermeulen
Someone with a highdef plasma cutter could make a decent living overhere.
Old 9th September 2007, 03:38 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jacco vermeulen
Someone with a highdef plasma cutter could make a decent living overhere.

Naah, I have acces to such a thingie...this one at least, don't really like aluminum, and in particular thin sheets don't look good after such treatment

Magura
Old 9th September 2007, 03:41 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by y8s
www.rapidsheetmetal.com is a great resource. send them your requirements and they'll turn around a quote in a day or so.

I believe they use laser.

I expect it'll cost close to 100 USD for qty 1.

Otherwise, check your local yellow pages for a sheetmetal shop, but the price will likely be similar.

Rapidsheetmetal are very cheap when it comes to single units. I don't know if it's any different in your neck of the woods, but here they will not even lift a foot to kick your rear for 100USD, when talking laser cutting (or just about anything else for that kind of matter).

Magura
Old 10th September 2007, 01:12 AM   #7
OzMikeH is offline OzMikeH  Australia
diyAudio Member

Don't underestimate the weight of all of those connectors and the loss of strength from that many holes. I'd be using 1.8mm steel.

It will be very difficult to work on if it is smaller than a mixing desk, have you considered many smaller, identical panels in a eurocard crate?

Hide this!Advertise here!