Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th September 2007, 09:02 PM   #1
maghen is offline maghen  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Default digital or analog crossover?

Hi,

I'm looking for advice regarding active crossovers for my line-array speaker project. (described in the "which loudspeaker design?" thread in "loudspeakers")

My current plan is to use a three way PA active crossover and tri-amp to bass, mid and treble respectively.

I know some people use the digital Behringer DCX2496 for HiFi applications. There are also already thought out tweaks to improve the fidelty.
On the other hand, I know some people successfully using analog active PA crossovers as well. (for instance the Behringer CX3400)

Choosing between these two units, which one would you believe is abetter choice? Pros and cons?

Thanks,
M
Old 6th September 2007, 04:23 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

If I listened to digital only sources, a digital xover and multichannel analog volume control would be the choice. Add analog sources and I'd rather stay out of the digital domian.
Old 10th September 2007, 01:44 PM   #3
EC8010 is offline EC8010  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

The DCX2496 makes a superb test bed for quickly finding out exactly what your crossover and driver equalisation needs to be. Then, once you've found out, you could build an analogue crossover.
Old 10th September 2007, 02:21 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by EC8010
The DCX2496 makes a superb test bed for quickly finding out exactly what your crossover and driver equalisation needs to be. Then, once you've found out, you could build an analogue crossover.
I'm with you on that EC, it's a great test tool.
Old 10th September 2007, 02:26 PM   #5
ttan98 is offline ttan98  Australia
diyAudio Member

Default Re: digital or analog crossover?

Quote:
Originally posted by maghen
Hi,

On the other hand, I know some people successfully using analog active PA crossovers as well. (for instance the Behringer CX3400)

Thanks,
M
I bought a second hand CX3400 it works very well and it is cheap. When you have more money then move over to DCX2496. You will not lose much money when you sell the CX3400.

I am planning to do this.

Hide this!Advertise here!