Lead soldering of leadfree parts

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,
leadfree ends solder well with leaded solder.

I do not recommend using leadfree solder. I have found the few types of lead free that I have tested are not nearly as good at wetting the surface nor for working at as low a temperature.
This seems to be the general finding of others.

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2005
AndrewT said:
I have found the few types of lead free that I have tested are not nearly as good at wetting the surface nor for working at as low a temperature.

I would echo Andrew's sentiment. The experience I have with circuit assemblies that were produced using Pb-free solder paste is that they are not as easy to rework because the Pb-free solder requires higher temperatures, does not wet as well, and does not always form a good solder joint. For DIY and personal stuff I only have 60/40 SnPb to use and it has always worked great.

Have you tried soldering large gauge cable that has been tinned with lead free solder?? You need to really wind up the temp (380 Deg+) to get a good connection, even when using lead based solder.
Lead free solder always leaves a dull finish, so it's difficult to tell whether you have a good solder joint, unless you trust your own abilities.
I agree with the others - stick to lead based solders if you can

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.