Help Identifying Diode

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello guy's, I need help Identifying the make of this diode. I am also having a hard time finding the C67 number on it. Any leads or cross reference would be of great help.

Attachments

• dscf0784.1.jpg
    dscf0784.1.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 172
It is one of the amplifier board from the creative labs gigaworks S750 speaker system! The color band on the resistors are red, black, red, gold. I was sent the board to source the defective parts. I am not able to answer the very technical questions. I did try to get info on the parts from creative labs. But, they would not release any technical info on their products. They were more willing to sell me a new speaker system.

You need to understand the circuit around a component if you are measuring it in circuit. The solder tooks untouched so I assume you have measured it in circuit, it may not be faulty at all.

The resistor is a 5% 2k ohm resistor and appears large enough to be a hefty wattage. To get enough current to get a 2k resistor hot you need lots of volts so I think what you have there might be a switched mode power supply or a very powerful amplifier.

If you can figure enough of the circuit to work out what it needs to do you might be able to stick any old diode of X voltage and Y current rating in it's place.

You'll be lucky to positively identify a part with so few numbers on it. Often SMT parts have no markings whatsoever, all of the ID is on the bulk reel they come on. Being a semiconductor that may only be a date code.

Most likely the amplifier is not a mono-block. Look at the other channel. You may need to desolder one end to see all of the markings. Depending what it is in the circuit a 1n4007 or a 1n4148 should work in most cases depending on exactly what the diode is being used for. measure the volt drop across it with a meter while you have one end lifted, this can tell you if it's a Schottky or a normal diode.

Diodes used like that are to exploit the volt drop across them, it is to provide a low impedance way to get a 0.7V drop for the bias of the power transistors. The PN junction in the transistors is also about 0.7V

The good news: any old standard diode should work provided the current rating is suitable. (no schottkys/high speed, just a dumb ol diode)
The bad news: usually the diode is killed by a shorted transistor.
while you have the diode tester out look for a shorted Base-emitter or base-collector on one or more transistors.

When powering up for testing use safety resistors, (see elliot sound products webpage for tips)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.