Other uses for 70v line transformers?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
OzMikeH said:

Use the primary as a power supply choke?

I think all of these are autoxfmers but yes one could use as a choke with limited success. There is no core gap.

Dave mentioned parafeed output xfmer. I was going to mention that myself. I`ll add possible cathode coupler to load or way of tapping low-Z output stage cathode FB somewhere else, perhaps in series with the output xfmer speaker connections? Run the earth side of the output xfmer speaker winding to the cathode xfmer partial tap instead of to chassis ground. This ought to be the same as using an output xfmer that actually contains a real cathode FB winding.

Never!

I've never heard nor seen(in person) a tube amp, and I intend to keep it that way. :smash:

I started out my HiFi life with Class-D and there is no other choice of amplification in my eyes. I won't be so close minded to say tubes s**k because I have no reference for that opinion. I don't intend to find out though.

Thanks, but respectfully no thanks. ;)

Re: Never!

theAnonymous1 said:
I've never heard nor seen(in person) a tube amp, and I intend to keep it that way. :smash:

I started out my HiFi life with Class-D and there is no other choice of amplification in my eyes. I won't be so close minded to say tubes s**k because I have no reference for that opinion. I don't intend to find out though.

Thanks, but respectfully no thanks. ;)

Hmmmm. Well tubes only suck if you break the evacuation stem. I can remember when getting a -D in Class was not considered praisworthy.

:D

I have used 100V line transformers in a back to back tube preamp power supply. I drive them off 6.3V winding and then have two of the line transformers in series to make a center tapped power transformer. Good for about 150V filtered DC.

Shoog

Re: Re: Never!

poynton said:

There are some who would say this was a contradiction !!!!!!!!!!!!

Andy

Yes, and I'm sure they all own lots of tube amps.;)

BTW, these transformers have what looks like a center tap on the input side. There are 3 tabs on the one side, and then 3 more on the other side; one labeled 8 ohm, one 4 ohm, and the other blank.

I have four of them and will probably put them in the trading post as I have no use for them.

I mean no offense to the tube lovers of the world.:grouphug:

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Re: Never!

theAnonymous1 said:
started out my HiFi life with Class-D and there is no other choice of amplification in my eyes. I won't be so close minded to say tubes s**k because I have no reference for that opinion. I don't intend to find out though./QUOTE]

We are starting to see a new generation of improved Class D amps with tube buffers on the front end... (well i actually haven't seen one, but am working on enhancing one of my D-Amps with one)

dave

theAnonymous1 said:

I probably wouldn't know a volt if it jumped out and bit me, but I would know 300 of them.:smash:

And therein lies my point young feller. If the world had always been solid state the opportunity for 300 of them volts to be locked and loaded in the same spot, all at the same time would never have existed. A few volts just doesn`t jump out and bite you. The tube engineers have the battle scars, hence they know what a volt is.
:headshot:

OK, my finger is holstered now, in my protective lineman`s high voltage insulating gloves. :D

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2005
rcavictim said:
Let me just observe that if vacuum tubes had not preceeded solid state `stuff`, most of you wouldn't know what a volt was if it jumped out and bit you. :D

Even if vacuum tubes hadn't preceeded solid state stuff, rectified mains voltage and transformers would still be used for power supplies. I'm sure many of us youngsters have had these volts "jump out and bite us". I know I have and am lucky to still be here! You learn to be veeeeeery careful working on things after having one of those experiences...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.