Help!! Polypropylene capacitors confusion! KP or MKP???

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My case it has become a domino. After resolving my query about the Vbe multiplier in a previous thread, it resulted a new problem under the marking of two members for the quality of capacitors that I use in my amplifier sample. They proposed me to improve the quality from MKT (metalized polyester foil) to KP (polypropylene foil). Their remarks are of course reasonable. I have already improved the quality of the rest caps in my module. All electrolytic are now Panasonic ECA type and all ceramic substituted from Cornel-Doubilier silvered mica. In the power supply fortunately from the beginning I have bought caps of Nichicon LS series. The rest remained are: 1) the input cap 22mF electrolytic 2) Some decoupling of 100nF MKT ( polyester metalized ) also in the Zobel and in the bootstrap (speed up) across the Vbe multiplier. One MKT of 33nF across the shared emitter resistor between the drivers. Finally two 47nF MKT in the VI limiter. The input cap will be replaced by a 2,2mF non electrolytic. According the suggestion of "Lumba Ogir" the caps are classified according to their quality as follows: 1) Polystyrene 2) Polypropylene foil (KP) 3) Metalized polypropylene foil (MKP). All the other types are useless in audio devices. I searched thoroughly the sites of WIMA of EPCOS and of Arcotronics and I discovered the following;
For the input 2,2mF there is not available KP type from any company. The only available it is a very big cap of LCR for use in speaker crossovers. All the other companies they offer only MKP type in relatively logical size. For the rest caps of 33nF, 47nF and 100nF because they must be in the range of 160Vac (for safety because the +/-70Vdc = 140Vpp supply level) also they don’t offer KP types (WIMA FKP2) in logical dimensions, instead they offer in the range of 250Vac (WIMA FKP3) with enormous dimensions and thus unusable. After all of these I think to proceed in the MKP types. If any of you have experience of a comparison between the KP and MKP type how much is the loss in sound quality (from my bench tests I can’t find any improvement with my usual test of square waves in input and the scope in output) his opinion will be well appreciated.
Thanks for the help in advance
Fotios
:scratch:

MKP probably means metalized. That means that the metal is sputtered as a thin film on the dielectric. KP probably means film and foil Separate films, and they are somewhat better, especially for high current applications. In your case MKP should work just fine.

Hi fotios,
All the other types are useless in audio devices.
I did not say that. Please be careful.
I listed them in order of sound quality (actually the same as increasing dielectric and resistive losses)
Even more accurately: 1. PTFE 2. polystyrene: 3. polypropylene 3. Polycarbonate 4. polyester
Non-metalized film IS better than metalized film.
Now start studying. Apparently, you have a very long way to go.

john curl said:
In your case MKP should work just fine.

Thanks mr. Curl for this SIMPLE and BRIGHT advice. The ancient Greek said: "As long as better you know a subject so much more simply you can explain it." That is! In eight words inluded the essence of a whole book or if you prefer a pactolus of post replies.
Mr. Curl, as it appears except a designer you are a real craftsman.
Respects
Fotios

taj

diyAudio Member
Joined 2005
All,
Just curious... Would it make sense to use a large crossover style polyprop cap for the input cap by having it interconnect the PCB to the input jack? Its size would be less of a concern.

Lumba,
What is PTFE? Teflon?

..Todd

Re: Re: Help!! Polypropylene capacitors confusion! KP or MKP???

peranders said:

Thanks Peranders for the link.
I have already resolve my problem by a direct contact with WIMA factory for asking samples. They redirected me in a German distributor which has in stock all the types that i wish. Wima it is a good and helpful company. This German distributor of Wima, it is a big company and undertake only with gross orders, not with a few samples. But under the admonition of WIMA they accepted to send the samples and the aggravation goes to WIMA, that is to say i get the caps finally free of charge. Take into account this. Maybe proved very useful and in you in the future.
As for the capacities that i need for my amp. samples, you may read the values and you understand the difficulty to find these caps in logical dimensions as to be left over space in the PCB to contain the transistors and the resistors! Can you imagine a PCB with caps only?:D
1) 33nF / 250Vdc (160Vac)
2) 47nF / 250Vdc (160Vac)
3) 100nF / 250Vdc (160Vac)
4) 2,2mF / 100Vdc (63Vac)
The only series offered from WIMA (and from any other company as i think) in logical dimensions are: MKP4 for 2,2mF and MKP2 for the rest.
Another item that may i refer it is: if you want MPC resistors (metal plate cemented non inductive in very low price) for the emitter of your BJT output transistors ask samples from FUTABA ELECTRONICS (SUZHOU) CO., LTD.
www.futaba.com.tw
It is very helpful company and sends from 20 to 30 samples free of charge.

fotios said:
Take a look in the WIMA site in the SMD series caps (PET - PEN - PPS). I think it is the future because all companies directed on this way. The dielectrics used are similar with teflon, i am not chemist but i think maybe the PPS it is a very good dielectric.

http://www.wima.com/EN/smdpet.htm

Polyphenilene sulfide caps (PPS)sound totally different from teflons.
:bawling:

QSerraTico_Tico said:

Polyphenilene sulfide caps (PPS)sound totally different from teflons.
:bawling:
\

Have you checked this PPS kind in practice? They are so bad? Because that you wrote appears as statement. Maybe you have tried also PET and PEN type. Which of these is the most similar with polypropylene? I haven't try yet any of these smd caps and i am not sure for nothing. My reference based only in my extended investigations for 4 days in the sites of companies. Also Panasonic it promote these smd types PET - PEN - PPS very much except WIMA.

fotios said:
\

Have you checked this PPS kind in practice? They are so bad? Because that you wrote appears as statement. Maybe you have tried also PET and PEN type. Which of these is the most similar with polypropylene? I haven't try yet any of these smd caps and i am not sure for nothing. My reference based only in my extended investigations for 4 days in the sites of companies. Also Panasonic it promote these smd types PET - PEN - PPS very much except WIMA.

Yes I listened to many types of caps. PPS is not bad at all, but has specefic colorations.

Teflon is King. I mean most close to no cap at all, straight wire.
Russian teflons are affordable.

Hi guys,
there are problems with PTFE (teflon): availability, price, values (only small values are manufactured).

QSerraTico_Tico,
I am glad there is still someone listening.

fotios,
I am really impressed by your determination on obtaining Wima capacitors. I am stunned beyond description...

Lumba Ogir said:
[Bfotios,
I am really impressed by your determination on obtaining Wima capacitors. I am stunned beyond description... [/B]

To be sincere i continue to not understand you. I am refered to the touch of your replies to me. It is ironic? I am not so good in English but if you knew Greek then i would be in place to say you still many of my thoughts. Please explain me if you have any problem with me and if yes what is this exactly. As for me, i think that in a other thread i was explained thoroughly to you my place.
And now, where is the strange way to obtain samples from WIMA? I realy searched in many on line shops for the caps but i could not find them. Thus i sent a post to WIMA with explanation of my situation and that i had not problem to pay for the samples. I AM NOT A DEADHEAD besides my economics or my budget it is limited. The rest have became from alone because my request was very logic.
The same will be hapened if i had placed this request and in ARCOTRONICS.
The same was hapened when i placed a request in Futaba Electronics TW for MPC resistors.
The same will be hapen if you send a request to me for a servicing if i am in the place to make this.
Fotios Anagnostou

Dear fotios,
your answer in post #19 made me really sad. I did not mean anything ironically, on the contrary. I have been following your search for Wima capacitors in the other thread and here and I honestly appreciate that choice because those are the very finest to me. I do appreciate your non compromising attitude. Please remember, my English is rather poor but I wonder if the wording can be misinterpreted that radically. I hope somebody would kindly help us to sort this out.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.