Hook-up wire voltage rating question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a question about using a certain hook-up wire in two different conditions. The wire has the following properties: "The dielectric constant of XLPE is about 2.4. Insulation resistance is 10^5
M OHM*m MIN (DC125V, 20C). The rating of the cable is 30V, 60 C."

I was told that this is largely a UL deal, not necessarily the limit of the material itself. However, I was wondering if this would be okay to use in a power amplifier, like the Pass F4 where things get hot and in a tube amplifier when voltages are in the 600-1000V range? Is it safer to use something like a mil-spec kilo-volt rated wire in the second case? I understand the temperature ratings, but does the voltage rating just have to do with the dialetric of the casing?

XLPE as a insulator is used for anything up to 200kV so clearly its not a material issue.

Mostly its about quality control, ie one feet of your cable can _probably_ withstand 2000v short-term but there is no quarantee that your entire spool is up to same quality or if there is microscopic holes on insulation.

For tube amp I would use something better than 30v rated cable.

mzzj said:
XLPE as a insulator is used for anything up to 200kV so clearly its not a material issue.

Mostly its about quality control, ie one feet of your cable can _probably_ withstand 2000v short-term but there is no quarantee that your entire spool is up to same quality or if there is microscopic holes on insulation.

For tube amp I would use something better than 30v rated cable.

what two runs never touched each other, or the case, etc.? So, does the voltage rating ultimately come down to what the insulation can hold? or what about adding another layer of teflon tubing?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.