Hook-up wire voltage rating question - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st August 2007, 03:41 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Hook-up wire voltage rating question

I have a question about using a certain hook-up wire in two different conditions. The wire has the following properties: "The dielectric constant of XLPE is about 2.4. Insulation resistance is 10^5
M OHM*m MIN (DC125V, 20C). The rating of the cable is 30V, 60 C."

I was told that this is largely a UL deal, not necessarily the limit of the material itself. However, I was wondering if this would be okay to use in a power amplifier, like the Pass F4 where things get hot and in a tube amplifier when voltages are in the 600-1000V range? Is it safer to use something like a mil-spec kilo-volt rated wire in the second case? I understand the temperature ratings, but does the voltage rating just have to do with the dialetric of the casing?
Old 21st August 2007, 04:34 PM   #2
mzzj is offline mzzj  Finland
diyAudio Member

XLPE as a insulator is used for anything up to 200kV so clearly its not a material issue.

Mostly its about quality control, ie one feet of your cable can _probably_ withstand 2000v short-term but there is no quarantee that your entire spool is up to same quality or if there is microscopic holes on insulation.

For tube amp I would use something better than 30v rated cable.
Old 21st August 2007, 07:09 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mzzj
XLPE as a insulator is used for anything up to 200kV so clearly its not a material issue.

Mostly its about quality control, ie one feet of your cable can _probably_ withstand 2000v short-term but there is no quarantee that your entire spool is up to same quality or if there is microscopic holes on insulation.

For tube amp I would use something better than 30v rated cable.

what two runs never touched each other, or the case, etc.? So, does the voltage rating ultimately come down to what the insulation can hold? or what about adding another layer of teflon tubing?

Hide this!Advertise here!