Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th August 2007, 07:26 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

try these links
http://www.allansmusic.com.au/Product.aspx?p=53281

http://www.allansmusic.com.au/Product.aspx?p=53890
Still reasonably cheap
Ted
Old 18th August 2007, 03:19 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

The unit I borrowed had minor (but significant) level discrepancies when both channels were set to the same level by the dial markings: 2-3db differences in some positions. Additionally, the crossover frequencies between the two channels were as much as 25% different when the dials were set to the same position.

This isn't necessarily easy to hear in a multichannel system until you fix the issue. These crossovers are great for what they are, but if I were leaving one in my system long term or evaluating other system components or changes, the problems need attention.
Old 18th August 2007, 06:16 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

Hi Jeff, must say that that isn't audible to my aging ears, differences in X-over freqency that i had noticed I was attributing to the power that I was using with each band.
But that said; perhaps there have been different manufacturing batches with somewwhat of a quality control issue
Old 18th August 2007, 07:24 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

I agree it's tough to hear what's wrong - until it's corrected! I set each channel's dial set to the same position as best as I could at what I thought would be 500Hz. When I measured one channel was actually crossed at 700Hz and the other was crossed at nearly 900Hz! I measured the unit alone with a laptop soundcard - no amps in line to mess things up.

If you have the patience to measure when you want to change something, this isn't a problem. The unit performs fine when properly configured by measurement. I agree that my sample may have been out of spec, but the tolerances of typical cheap pots aren't fantastic so this could be typical.
Old 20th August 2007, 11:48 PM   #15
OzMikeH is offline OzMikeH  Australia
diyAudio Member

I decided it's not for me. I downloaded the manual, the delay adjust is for the low channel only. I want time adjustment in the highs as well. I'm doubtful the adjustment is fine enough for 10kHz wavelengths, it's 41 steps from zero to 2ms.

I'll measure my speakers then build a line level 24dB/oct XO to suit, Delay circuit (if required) can be incorporated in the XO box at the same time. I may even stick a T amp in there for the tweeters.
Old 2nd November 2007, 01:09 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to rockermtnman
Jeff, Do you still have your movie theater speakers?
-Manny
Old 6th January 2008, 05:33 PM   #17
DonoMan is offline DonoMan  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to DonoMan
I have the CX3400 and it's horribly noisy. I have to keep the input gain knobs down a lot and send it a higher level signal to compensate to get an acceptable SNR. It's not my receiver or amp.

thinking of replacing some op amps. Don't feel like taking it apart until I know what I'm doing. Anyone do this, or at least got pics of its guts?

Hide this!Advertise here!