Dumb motor run capacitor question - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th August 2007, 05:36 AM   #1
chrish is offline chrish  Australia
diyAudio Member

Default Dumb motor run capacitor question

G'Day guys,

I picked up two motor run capacitors I thought might be useful for some future project for almost nothing while browsing around some electrical parts shops when away with work. ASC X386D Dual motor run 20uF/4uF. My dumb question is, I have been searching for some data on this cap and have found the appropriate web site, http://ascapacitor.com/Products/x386d.htm but cannot find what sections of the dual capacitor the three pins connect to. Is there a standard pinout for these things, or does someone know offhand what they are for this brand?

Thanks,

Chris.

Oh, have just been told there is no such thing as a dumb question, just dumb people!
Old 13th August 2007, 07:42 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

I don't no much about motor capacitors but i would think one pin is neutral, one is motor run and the other is motor start.
Old 13th August 2007, 10:34 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

From what I can gather, these things are for devices such as air conditioners that require a large motor run cap for the compressor and a smaller one for the fan. I figured that one of the pins would be common ant the other two for the different caps, but the question is which is which? Unfortunately I do not have a capacitance meter. Maybe I could apply a low voltage from a bench power supply across each of the pin combos and then time the the discharge rates when I place a multimeter across the various pins, the longer discharge being the higher cap value.

I was hoping that someone might know what the standard pin configuration was on these things

Cheers,

Chris
Old 13th August 2007, 10:44 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

All the ones that I have are marked, but I would just use an ohmmeter, fine the two leads with the most resistance between them and that should be the two hot terminals i would think
Old 14th August 2007, 12:01 PM   #5
alexg is offline alexg  Philippines
diyAudio Member

I have used this air conditioner motor run caps from ASC. The middle pin is the common ground for the 30 and 4uf sections.

Great caps for PSU.

HTH.
Old 14th August 2007, 10:25 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

I emailed ASC and received a reply. As it turns out, the top of the can is marked, but it is so faint on mine as to be almost invisible. With the label facing you, the top centre connector is common, marked 'C', the left is 'FAN' 4uF, right is 'HERM' 20uF.

Thanks for the help and suggestions,

Chris

Hide this!Advertise here!