What is this type of switch called?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,
"ganged" usually applies when all the switches move in unison. This more usually in a rotary switch with ganged wafers that all turn together, or a ganged multi channel pot where all the wipers move in unison.

The interlocking push button latch switch with self cancelling action must have a generic name, but just at the moment I am stumped.

They were very common for tuning radios, car radios in particular, but also any pre digital tuner that had preselected channels.
Most are only for low current duty, so do specify your special high current duty.

Sorry I cann't provide a link, but this description could help you find what you are looking for. Hopefully.
I bought some from Maplin years ago - they don't seem to sell components anymore.
Made by Alps, the individual switch sections could be inserted into a metal "U" shaped carrier with cutouts to accomodate the switch sections. This carrier was available with cutouts for two, four six etc spaces for switches. The switch sections were available in two pole, four pole & six pole changeover versions. A small wire widget (for want of a better word) could be inserted under a plastic cover for push on - push off action like a retractable ball point pen, or pushbutton mains switch. Without this widget it had momentary action. A flat bar, provided with the "U" shaped carrier and with cutouts for the switches, slid along the carrier and provided latching action to the momentary switch. When one switch was pressed, the others were released by the movement of this bar. It's this carrier with the sliding bar that you want, together with the appropriate switches.

These things are made up to own spec. the mounting bars and switches are bought separatly. as are the interlocking bars and spring assemlies.

most of this type of switch are lowish current types and may not be suitable for speaker switching.

brands from memory are Devlin, EMO, Alps
farnell do a range, http://www.farnell.com/datasheets/61068.pdf
rs no longer stock them (i think)
hope this helps
bob

DJ Exprice said:
If you have the ability to do so, use a Basic STAMP module with it and use momentary switches. You will need to know the coding language though…and I'm busy coding my own projects, and have very little time to write the code for this.

Hint: You will need relays - lots of relays. :D
That'd be my suggestion as well (though I'd go with an AVR, of course). This sort of switching mechanism has been obsoleted by digital controls for years, or built-to-spec for specific applications. They'll be hard to find and probably prohibitively expensive. It probably wouldn't be hard to cannibalize a source selector kit to do what you need if you don't want to write the code.

The other option is to use set/reset (dual coil) latching relays. These accept a 'set' or 'reset' signal on different pins which turns them on or off respectively. With some diodes you can wire this so that the press of a button resets all the relays except the one of interest, which gets a set signal. It gets ugly with more than 5 or so inputs though since you need n^2 diodes and connections.

error401 said:

That'd be my suggestion as well (though I'd go with an AVR, of course). This sort of switching mechanism has been obsoleted by digital controls for years, or built-to-spec for specific applications. They'll be hard to find and probably prohibitively expensive. It probably wouldn't be hard to cannibalize a source selector kit to do what you need if you don't want to write the code.

The other option is to use set/reset (dual coil) latching relays. These accept a 'set' or 'reset' signal on different pins which turns them on or off respectively. With some diodes you can wire this so that the press of a button resets all the relays except the one of interest, which gets a set signal. It gets ugly with more than 5 or so inputs though since you need n^2 diodes and connections.

Yeah. Things CAN get ugly. If you don't mind, you can just have a transistor as a switch instead of a relay. It really just depends on what you're doing/sending signal to. If it's for an amplifier input selection, well, just see if you can come up with your own solution. Relays could work. Maybe transistors? Somebody explain the best switching mechanism before I hurt my own head!:clown:

Actually, with respect to electrical switches, all ganged means is "side by side". It's a very old and common term used indicate that all switches are withing the same box. Anybody ever read the side of a receptacle box. They usually indicate whether the box is gangable. In fact, Leviton states that the total capacity of their switches (wattage) drops if they are ganged in one box. The reason is due to heat. Anyway, this is what it means when used in the elecrical contractor world. It's also referenced in the electrical code books.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.