Best XLR chassis jack - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 31st July 2007, 11:19 PM   #1
Vogue is offline Vogue  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Default Best XLR chassis jack

What is the best (sound) of the Neutrik XLR jack versions ... and is there something better than the Neutrik's.

Vogue
Old 31st July 2007, 11:26 PM   #2
diyAudio Moderator

Neutriks are all good, that's why they are the industry standard. As for the best sounding, balanced operation seems to remove any cable/connector dependence, and I certainly have never heard any differences in the sound that could be attributed to different types.
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?
Old 31st July 2007, 11:52 PM   #3
pooge is offline pooge  United States
diyAudio Member

While I cannot offer an opinion on the sound of different Neutrik XLRs, since I have never done such a comparison, I find it facinating that such a discussion is so very rare compared to such strong opinions regarding RCAs.

I have gone to them mostly for balanced equipment reasons, but find their locking feature and overall robustness to be an incredible value compared to the ridiculous prices of some RCAs.

It seems everyone says that Neutriks are wonderful, even though they share the same gold-over-nickel plating in the gold versions that gets bashed by subjectivists re the RCAs. I have read only one opinion to use the silver version to avoid the nickel plating. Other than that, only good things about Neutrik XLRs. Funny, even the sellers of such jewelry state how wonderful they are, right next to their hype about their HI $ RCAs having no nickle.
Old 1st August 2007, 05:31 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

I used Furutech connectors for my projects.
Furutech XLR

The FP-601/602 are about 80 a piece. The FP-702/701 are 15 a piece. The 701 series already has a much better finish than the best Neutrik.
Old 1st August 2007, 06:23 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by pooge
I have gone to them mostly for balanced equipment reasons, but find their locking feature and overall robustness to be an incredible value compared to the ridiculous prices of some RCAs.
Yeah. Now if only it weren't for XLR's ridiculous size...

I mean seriously, if I were wanting to connect some high powered amplifiers to some rather low efficiency loudspeakers I'd maybe use XLRs. But when it comes to carrying line level signals, I just can't get over their size.

se
Old 1st August 2007, 07:06 AM   #6
pooge is offline pooge  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Steve Eddy

But when it comes to carrying line level signals, I just can't get over their size.

se
I can.
Old 1st August 2007, 08:10 AM   #7
Vogue is offline Vogue  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by pooge
While I cannot offer an opinion on the sound of different Neutrik XLRs, since I have never done such a comparison, I find it facinating that such a discussion is so very rare compared to such strong opinions regarding RCAs.

It seems everyone says that Neutriks are wonderful, even though they share the same gold-over-nickel plating in the gold versions that gets bashed by subjectivists re the RCAs. I have read only one opinion to use the silver version to avoid the nickel plating. Other than that, only good things about Neutrik XLRs. Funny, even the sellers of such jewelry state how wonderful they are, right next to their hype about their HI $ RCAs having no nickle.
Well i must say that I agree. Very strong opinions about RCA - but XLR ... just Neutrik ... and they make more than 100 different models.

Vogue
Old 1st August 2007, 11:54 AM   #8
SRMcGee is offline SRMcGee  United States
diyAudio Member

Folks:

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but what recommendations might you have for the wire to make balanced audio interconnects? Are there particular qualities that one should look for (copper, silver, braided, twisted, whatever)?

Regards,
Scott
Old 1st August 2007, 12:08 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SRMcGee
Folks:

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but what recommendations might you have for the wire to make balanced audio interconnects? Are there particular qualities that one should look for (copper, silver, braided, twisted, whatever)?

Regards,
Scott
3 coat hangers and a ground

Seriously, I've found that a decent pre made microphone cable sounds pretty mint. I've wondered if RJ45 networking stuff would be suitable to carry low level - If not, how about T-1 bantam cords/jacks. A dual bantam could carry stereo balanced and is cmpact with high quality. Sorry for slightly OT.
Old 6th August 2007, 05:16 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

A big reason you don't hear a lot of debate regarding XLR connectors is that Neutrik has an excellent product that is inexpensive.

More to the point... I've never experienced the mechanical issues of plug to socket with XLR that I have with RCA. It seems that there is a wide variance in the dimensions RCA connectors, and the nature of the connector lends itself to more issues of physical connection quality.

-David

Hide this!Advertise here!