Manipulating Gerber/Layer files directly

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hi! I was wondering if it's possible to manipulate the layer files directly that are sent to the pcb fab? The files I have are Gerbers .gbl, .gbs, .gtl etc. and were made from Protel DXP (obviously I don't have the .PcbDoc file ;)

At a minimum, I'd like to split the panel in half and only have 2 of the 4 board sections made. Also, if it's possible to do a bit of rework, I'd be interested in that as well. Is the splitting something that the board fab can be instructed to do?

Finally, any recommendations on a place to get the boards done? The total panel size is 10" x 10.2".

Finally, if I wanted to have half of this panel made, and then another board made, could the fab panelize these for me into one project?

Also, how to do instruct them to include scoring lines so the pcbs can be separated easily?

Thanks for the help! Sorry for so many questions!

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
I'm not aware of any cheap/free programs that allow that kind of Gerber manipulation, but I would be pleased to be informed otherwise.

Your best bet would be to find a good PCB house and get them to do the work for you, they will charge for it though. I have always found 4pcb/Advanced to be very helpful, and produce good quality work.

CAM350 is the best program I've found so far, I believe the demo version will allow you to edit and export.

If you want cheap there is ViewMasterEZ for $49, good for basic editing.

Or if you happen to have Altium designer there is a built in gerber editor, just be sure to rename your file to something it recognizes before opening.

As for where to get it done, gold phoenix is very cheap. For 100 sq inches its $100, multi project is another $30. But they would require you to panelize yourself.

Here is a small list of more places: http://www.opencircuits.com/PCB_Manufacturers send them an email saying what you need done and they will probably get you a quote.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.