I know nothing about this LCR meter by ESI

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I picked up an LCR meter made by ESI, model # 410 (1 MHz)
Can't find any info on the net, except that the front panel looks
just like the more common ESI model # 295 or 2522b (1 KHz).

http://www.tucker.com/images/images_spec/00000820.pdf

I believe ESI was bought by Tegam, but their site reveales no match....to either models. I think a manual for 295 might get me up and running with the 410 that I have.

Does anyone know anything about this (these) meters?
Are kelvin clips mandatory?

=RR=

Not a clue. Does it have other frequencies, or just 1MHz? Kelvin clips help accuracy with low impedance loads (most capacitors at 1MHz), but don't do much when lead resistance isn't a factor. They also make it easier to eliminate lead capacitance from the measurement- as long as you're doing a 3 or 4-terminal measurement, you might as well carry it right to the component lead via Kelvin clips. I do a lot of fixturing where the separate shielded leads terminate to a big conventional spring clip for the component lead. Not a Kelvin clip, but plenty close enough for most low frequency applications. Note that you can easily make real Kelvin clips out of simple plastic clothes pins. Just attach some adhesive copper shielding tape (or even wire) to each face of the clip and wire back to the meter. No expensive magic required. Where you really want Kelvin clips is for measuring things like emitter resistors- for anything below about 20-50 ohms, where you want accuracy, they're essential.

I have a Teagam LCR bridge that uses Kelvin Klips, etc. Mine has a CRT display and a digital tape drive built in. To operate it you select frequency and measurement mode, then calibrate. Calibration involves allowing the machine to zero itself with the leads shorted and open.

I don't have proper cal standards to check accuracy, but using some precision caps and resistors it appears to be close enough. Resistance measurements match my Fluke 87 type IV meter to 3 decimal digits.

What do you need to know about the unit?

I_F

What do you need to know about the unit?

Well, it powers up, but with the two led displays are flashing at power up, every time.
(these units can take two different measurements at a time.)

flashing readouts (at power-up):

+8.242, n, Fp

+01.54, m, S, HV

I can reset (zero-out, no blinking) the displays by pressing the 'NOM VALUE' button.
I seem to be able to put it in different modes. Pressing "START' button will always make the readouts flashing again.
I have not yet made clips yet for this yet, so I can't see if it measures anything.

I wonder if the blinking displays indicate a 'completed' measurement????..or if something is wrong...???

(there are some empty card slots inside, maybe for options ?)
I only paid $20 for the unit.

---------------------------------------------------------
BTW, there are 4 BNC inputs labeled:
(HI)
Drive, Sense
(LOW)
Drive, Sense

I think a four wire connection goes like this:
BNC center wires 'drive' and 'sense' are connected together at the kelvin clip.....for each HI and LOW pairs.
BNC shields are tied together for each pair.
Correct??

=RR=

It is probably flashing when you hit the measure button because nothing is connected to measure (i.e. flashing indicates that measurement is out of range).

I think you are right about the wiring of the leads- I'll check mine and see what they look like.

I_F

Like this:
....scroll to midway on this page:

http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/vol_1/chpt_8/9.html

00478.png

But I still wonder..........I've seen kelvin clips being a RED and a BLACK pair.
On this kind of meter, would RED be "High" and BLACK be "Low"?
What is the purpose of a "High" and "Low" anyhow? .....to measure polarized caps?

These types of meters will measure a cap's ESR, correct?

Sorry for the basic questions. I think I'll download some various LCR manuals, and read them.

=RR=

ESI 410

Hi, Redrabbit,

recently I've bought an ESI 410....

A lot of problems, probably it's damaged....

I'm searching for the manual and the schematic, but I'm also
interested in the EPROM firmware..

Are You interested to collaborate in order to achieve the full functionality of this (interesting and "misterious") LCR Meter ?

Thanks in advance !

Andrea - Italy

Hello,

I noticed some discussion about an ESI 410 LCR meter. I also have such a device but do not have a manual with schematics. I noticed that someone posted a message indicating that they have a PDF version of the manual. Would that individual be willing to send me a copy?

Sincerely,
Paul,
University of California
Davis, CA:D

COPY OF A MESSAGE SENT BY ME 2 DAYS AGO TO REDRABBIT, VIA DIRECT MAIL:

Hi, Randy,

I don't sell anything, I will scan the manual only, and i send You (via mail, ftp or rapidshare.com, for example..).

My 410 was from a bad eBay auction: I've bought more than 100 pieces on eBay, with success (in good state or repairable...found 100% manuals, etc. ...)
for this auction 0% was OK:

1) the 410 output over the 2 displays are ever "0"
2) the keyboard wires are detached...
3) there is probably a fault in the output module (the optional module that control the automatic component test machines)
4) MORE IMPORTANT: I've found the 2 CPU CODE EPROMS WITH the little programming window OPENED - exposed to light...

for that, in a 6 month research I've found the Instruction manual: it's a sort of a (full) User manual with schematics plus a generic circuit description

Now, I need few things:

1) a photo of Your CPU board (on the right lane of the instrument)
2) if Your CPU board it like mine (there are more different versions), I need the COPY OF THE 2 EPROMS
3) eventually (now I don't be sure) other 2 or 2 photos of other internal cards

If You're interested, write to this email address..

thanks !

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.