Resistors Watt rating : how to check it ? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 31st July 2007, 06:43 AM   #1
rephil is offline rephil  Europe
diyAudio Member

Default Resistors Watt rating : how to check it ?

Hi all,

In using a resistor we all are faced with its Watt rating. We normally use it with some safety margin as if 1 Watt is dissipated in it, the used resistor will be rated at much more in order to get a trustworthy circuit.

The problem I have now is related to the Watt rating of resistors that are sold on the net.

I have bought for cheap many 1% resistors that should be rated at ½ Watt as was told in the eBay auction. As I don’t see any difference with those that are rated at ¼ Watt already in my boxes at home (they look all the same way), I should like to know if there is a possibility to check that a resistor is rated at ¼ Watt or at ½ Watt. How do they proceed to check this rating in the industry ?

Please, consider that I am not allowed to ‘appreciate’ explosions, flames, fumes and the like in my lab as my family would not let me proceed with such a ‘dangerous’ hobby ... . So the check must be non destructive . .

Thank you for any help.

Best regards

rephil

Hide this!Advertise here!